British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-23, 09:49 AM

Default INFANTRY CAP BADGES WORN BY RAC IN WW2 - PART II

To save a little time, I have started a new thread linked to https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=6775

I am putting together an article for the MHS Bulletin on the composition of The Royal Armoured Corps in WW2. There will be nothing new in the article – it will be a consolidation of what is already in the public domain with the appropriate citations.

I would like to include a paragraph on the use of WM / Chromed infantry badges used by the battalions converting to armour, as there is quite a lot confusion here. I cannot find any definitive evidence of which, if any, battalions, who retained there Regimental badge, wore a WM or chromed badge.

I understand that it could have been to differentiate them as ‘Tankies’ but this would either require an AO stating they were to be produced in WM or chromed or that it was unofficial. If the latter (I am no metallurgist) this would have taken considerable effort (and resources) if it were to have been done in unit lines or in the field (cf Dave’s (Deejayuu) thread, post 17 of the main thread above), even by my father’s account of the war – 95% hanging around 3% action 2% s*** scared. (He did bridge demolitions during the withdrawal through Greece down to Crete).

Does anyone have any hard evidence?

To add to the mix, I believe, again I have no evidence, that troops involved in the 1953 Coronation, wore chromed badges. If this were to be correct, it would explain the existence of some WW2 pattern badges are found to be chromed.

Chris
Old 11-06-23, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Chris

It is my understanding that the decision on which cap badges to wear was a regimental one. There are enough photos to show that some Troopers retained their old infantry cap badges whilst others in the same photo wear RAC.

The chroming/nickel plating again seems to be a regimental practice and was not universal either. It is recorded on a post on this forum that the Kings Own did this but again not every trooper got a plated one. I don't know the capabilties of a REME workshop but I don't think it would be beyond them. If not I am sure a civilian firm could have done it at regimental expense. However I don't know of any evidence that any other RAC conversion regiment did it other than the Kings Own.

I think that to safe to say that the plated ones are not a sealed pattern so no official AO will exist.

You are right to think that cap badges were chromed by non-RAC units. It was not just for the coronation but at the end of the war it became acceptable for private-purchase coloured side caps to be worn when walking out and chromed badges were often bought to wear in them.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 11-06-23 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-06-23, 07:29 PM

I have this as the 162nd Regt RAC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1902.jpg (41.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-06-23, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

The 162nd only existed for less than a year before it was disbanded and transferred to the Recce Corps. It is quite possible the owner of this one was in the 162nd and had his badge buffed down but I would be doubtful that this was done by every 162nd Trooper.
Old 11-06-23, 08:40 PM

Thanks Alan and Keith.

Keith's response with pictures seems to align with Vilestones's response in the original thread re posts 5 & 7.

Chris
Old 12-06-23, 05:39 AM

Hi Cam,

Here is a past post on 141st (7th Batt The Buffs) RAC where dipped/plated chromed badges are documented.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hlight=chromed

Cheers Dean
Old 12-06-23, 05:49 AM

Thanks Dean.

Chris
Old 12-06-23, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Dean

Thanks for finding that. Like the King's Own a regimental practice and not universal across the regiment.
Alan
Old 12-06-23, 09:23 AM

My pleasure thanks Alan.

As an aside to the chroming of infantry badges, the Notts and Derby regiment had a number of their cap badges chromed by the local Raleigh bicycle works during the Great War. These badges do turn up and their chroming is not related to walking out badges or later RAC affiliations or Coronations.

Best regards Dean
Old 12-06-23, 09:29 AM

Chris,
I feel your research pain, I've been looking into this area on and off over the years and am pretty confident that there is no definitive official directive on this one. Certainly there is no official WO instruction, there may be a local area or brigade command instruction somewhere in the archives but so far it's remained hidden.

The plating (nickel or chrome) of cap badges was entirely a regimental thing, the CO's decision, perhaps encouraged by enthusiastic squadron commanders. There is evidence that the plating was done either by a local firm - there would have been lots of such around the country back then - or by the LAD/REME guys. I think the latter, in particular, in occupied Germany.

I did get in touch with a metallurgist on the nickel/chrome subject and thought I'd posted something on here but I can't find any ref to it. Essentially, nickel is always used as the basis for chroming so much would depend on time and availability of the chrome (needed for bush linings and the like in the war industry) which is why I'm leaning to full chrome badges being more likely in those early occupation months and beyond (and certainly by the time of the Coronation) and nickel potentially more likely during the war.

The regiments that had plated badges were:
107RAC
141RAC

Those that wore a white metal variant of their badge were:
110RAC
116RAC
155RAC
156RAC
159RAC
161RAC
162RAC

142RAC allegedly had a batch of white metal badges produced but the old sweats preferred their traditional pattern – that classic reason – to prove they’d been in since the beginning. The chaps behind the Suffolk’s Friends Association really know their stuff so for them to use ‘allegedly’ means it’s pretty much a dead cert that not a scrap of evidence has surfaced to confirm this one.

Cheers
John
Old 12-06-23, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I have this as the 162nd Regt RAC.
Lovely example, don’t suppose you have any evidence, memoir, oral history, anything really to support the clean scroll ones?

Cheers
John
Old 12-06-23, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The 162nd only existed for less than a year before it was disbanded and transferred to the Recce Corps. It is quite possible the owner of this one was in the 162nd and had his badge buffed down but I would be doubtful that this was done by every 162nd Trooper.
Alan

It was 161RAC that converted to Recce.

Completely agree regarding the polishing being done by some but not all.

Cheers
John
Old 12-06-23, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

John

Sorry you are more accurate. They disbanded the 162 regiment and the ORs transferred to the Recce Corps. Important difference as the cap badge would definitely not be worn if they were transferred.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 13-06-23 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 05:39 PM

John,

thanks for the response.

Chris