British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-08, 07:23 PM

Yes, thats what we think. See posts 5-8. Now on a sideline interested in pictures of RAF WO 2 rank being worn. Cheers, Paul.
Old 22-03-08, 09:36 PM
Badge Guru

Ive got a feeling that the insignia worn by WO.2 ground crew is different to that of Aircrew. I knew a WO.2 in RAF who was ground crew, that rank is impressed on one of his medals.
Old 23-03-08, 02:17 PM

There was no Special WO2 air crew rank badge. I doubt if there were ever any WO2 aircrew in the RAF. Pre 1946 NCO aircrew wore the same rank badges as groundcrew. When the rank structure was overhauled in 1950 except for master aircrew all NCOs wore the same rank badges whether in an air or ground trade. NCO aircrew did and do wear a golden eagle above their rank badge.

JOHN
Old 23-03-08, 09:16 PM

Hello Jibba, if you look back a few posts you will see the pre war insignia chart in post 12. I just wondered if anyone had pictures of the WO 2 rank being worn. Cheers, Paul.
Old 29-03-08, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I've just found mention of the Ranks of WO 1 and WO 2 mentioned on the site link I posted and mentioned by John. I had thought there was only the single class of WO in the RAF from 1918 on -so you learn more each day. I can not find a picture though in the book 'Badges and uniforms of the Royal Air Force' by Hobart, from which the site take its info. I would be interested to see a picture of an RAF WO 2, or the badge.
The last badge of the RAF WO2 (Groundcrew) was the same as that for an Army Quarter Master Sergeant (QMS) viz a Crown within a Laurel Wreath but of course in RAF colours (blue-grey etc). Interestingly after it was disestablished by the RAF the ATC continued to use it up until recent times.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 31-03-08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-08-08, 10:45 AM

The ATC still use the crown and laurels badge for Cadet Warrant Officer (CWO). It was originally intended to be the crown on its own but someone mixed it up so that CWOs wear the crown and laurels and Adult Warrant Officers (AWOs) wear the crown. AWOs used to be entitled to wear the Tate & Lyles (WO1) after 8 years service but that was abolished in the late 1980's
Old 17-08-08, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldynewby View Post
The ATC still use the crown and laurels badge for Cadet Warrant Officer (CWO). It was originally intended to be the crown on its own but someone mixed it up so that CWOs wear the crown and laurels and Adult Warrant Officers (AWOs) wear the crown. AWOs used to be entitled to wear the Tate & Lyles (WO1) after 8 years service but that was abolished in the late 1980's
Thanks for that confirmation. I knew I had seen it on an ATC uniform and am pleased to learn it is still in use.