British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-10, 10:53 AM

Default Royal Artillery Pegasus badge

I went to the MHS meeting in Dorchester yesterday and bought the picture and pegasus badge seen below. The officer pictured below belongs to the 201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Field Battery RA (V).The badge measures 55mm square and the merrowed edge is a light karki colour. John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA Pegasus.jpg (49.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 25-04-10, 02:05 PM

Bellerophon astride the winged horse Pegasus.

201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Battery Royal Artillery (Volunteers)

Awarded by Major General Urquhart CB DSO, to both the 64th Medium Regiment Royal Artillery (London) (TA) and the 419th Heavy Battery of the 52nd (Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Heavy Regiment Royal Artillery (TA). This was in recognition of the distinguished service that both units gave during the final stages of the Arnhem Battle in September 1944. Worn on the lower right sleeve of the Battle Dress Blouse.

The 64th Medium Regiment Royal Artillery (London) (TA) was disbanded in 1947.

In 1958, as the direct descendants of 419 Battery, this distinction was authorised for 305th (Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Light Regiment Royal Artillery (Territorial Army), subsequently in 1961 'Q' (Luton and Dunstable) Battery of 286th (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment Royal Artillery (Territorial Army), which in 1967 became 201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers).

Army Order 63 of December 1968, "Her Majesty the Queen has been graciously pleased to approve that the territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve units named below may be allowed to wear distinctive emblems of dress to denote honorary distinctions awarded to their predecessors as set out below: Airborne Pegasus Sign 201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Medium Battery, Royal Artillery (V)."

The current badge which was introduced in 1970, is 2 x 2½ inches and is authorised to be worn on the right cuff of Number 2 Dress and Service Dress.
Old 15-05-10, 05:58 PM

Default Pegasus badge

There is also a bullion version worn on Mess Dress.
Some years ago I saw a RA Mess Dress with this badge for sale at an auction in Hertford. I didn't collect cloth items then but now regret not bidding!

Stephen.
Old 15-05-10, 06:10 PM

There are a number of badges worn, only the one in the first post is officially approved for wear.
Old 25-09-19, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
I went to the MHS meeting in Dorchester yesterday and bought the picture and pegasus badge seen below. The officer pictured below belongs to the 201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Field Battery RA (V).The badge measures 55mm square and the merrowed edge is a light karki colour. John.
The picture is of Major (Then Captain) Simon. N Sadler.
Old 03-03-20, 07:46 PM

Default Royal Artillery Pegasus Badge.

I came across this site by accident, following other research, and read about the Pegasus badge.
My wife's uncle, took part in that action and was part of the gun crew. He was the units secretary keeping all the records. He did two accounts, one for the MOD, the other for him self, of which I now have. He was also a very keen photographer, and took many photos of his unit, the bridge at Arnhem, before and after it was destroyed, also pictures of himself waring the Pegasus badge, on his right forearm.
The unit was on Nijmegen football ground, he said it was the firmest ground they could find to set to gun up. They were supporting the 1st Airborne etc to effect there escape. Perhaps if any one are interested I could down load them, if allowed.
All the pictures are kept in a leather bound German folder, with the Eagle and Swastika. I hope this is of some interest.
Old 30-04-20, 11:38 AM

Hi

I am new to this site and I saw your post .
My father served with the Royal Artillery 52/419 heavy regt , I have a photo
of him wearing the pegasus badge.He was at Nijmegen but that's about all
I know.
I would be grateful for any information and photos.
I am not sure how to use this messaging system so I hope you get this.
My email is tetom@btinternet.com if that would be better.

Thanks

Terry Tomkins

Last edited by tetom; 04-05-20 at 08:35 AM.