British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-01-21, 03:51 PM

Default King's Own Malta Regiment Cap Badge Variants.

Sounds like a cliche, but one is always learning. This is something I've recently learned from a fellow collector which I would like to share.

The King's Own Malta Regiment was created in 1931 having dropped the Militia status and served the crown till it's disbandment in 1972. Having served 41 years the cap badges had some variants, mostly not so obvious. Here are 4 Other Ranks brass types with their differences pointed out.

Yes most collectors doubt the authenticity of No.4, but so far I've never seen anything plausible stating otherwise. True to be told, I've never seen any images of KOMR personnel wearing this badge, but again these could have been genuine rejects by the regiment. Till then this will form part of my collection!!

1. Early-type KOMR: Rounded more defined oak leaves and "filled ribbon" below the annulus. Dull coloured brass.

2. Later-type KOMR: Oak leaves seem slimmer and the ribbon below annulus is voided. Polished brass lacking any patina.

3. As the early-type but having the Maltese cross in brass.

All these having sliders.

4. Obvious differences are the Maltese cross and lugs at the rear of the badge. However also note similarities with the previously mentioned badges.

This is what I've managed to notice so far. If any other member could "spot any other differences" or any further suggestions, I would be more then happy to know.

In the meantime I hope this helps.

Regards to all.
Old 09-01-21, 05:15 PM

Hi KOMalta,
An interesting post showing a range of strikings.
Here are mine for comparison, you may see another variation.
One on right is considerably "flatter" than the one on left.
Cheers,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOMR.jpg (38.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-01-21, 09:03 PM

Hi John,

Yes I have seen such flat variants. None in my collection, but I did come across. Actually my Royal Malta Militia Other Ranks has quite a flat roundel compared to most.

Thanks for the pointer.

Vincent.
Old 10-01-21, 05:22 AM

Hi Vincent,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the St. Edwards crowned version in your avatar. I bid on one once and it went for quite a bit. I have never seen one in use. I would love some background and pics if you have any.

Thanks,
Clay
Old 10-01-21, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatdog View Post
Hi Vincent,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the St. Edwards crowned version in your avatar. I bid on one once and it went for quite a bit. I have never seen one in use. I would love some background and pics if you have any.

Thanks,
Clay
Hi Clay,

The St.Edwards Crown version was never officially produced. KOMR did not have their badges changed when the Queen became sovereign. The reason why I wouldn't know!! The Officers had their Tudor Crown badges modified privately by local jewellers to reflect the Queens Crown.

As for the KOMR Other Ranks cap badge the Regiment kept the same badge till disbandment in 1972. Therefore it's not entirely correct to listed this badge as pre-1953 due to the crown! As noted in the thread, some variants do exists, but crown remains the same throughout.

For images please refer to my album "Maltese Regiments". If you do require further images just PM me and i'll post more. Hoping this helps.

Regards,
Vincent.
Old 12-02-21, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMalta View Post
Yes most collectors doubt the authenticity of No.4, but so far I've never seen anything plausible stating otherwise. True to be told, I've never seen any images of KOMR personnel wearing this badge, but again these could have been genuine rejects by the regiment. Till then this will form part of my collection!!

4. Obvious differences are the Maltese cross and lugs at the rear of the badge. However also note similarities with the previously mentioned badges.
KOMR cap badge (No.4) now removed from collection as there's evidence that this badge was also in the March catalogue (Thanks Luke H). However I will still retain it for reference.