British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-15, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauph197 View Post
Todd, that's an interesting point... I just saw your answer after I post my last message.

Is there any chances to get the article?

A funny thing is, I was doing the exact same thing when I was in Bosnia in 1996. I was friend with the Mat Tech who was in charge of the shop where a sewing machine was. I was making small bags to rearrange stuff in Grizzly vehicles we were using. It won't take before I ended with uniforms and badges to sew... it was great spending the downtime that way.

I cant find the original article I was referencing, but I did find another by him. It still references his tailoring but doesn't get specific. There is even a picture of him sewing a uniform of the right side of the article. Its hard to link because of the way that particular site works.

Go to http://www.normandy1944.info/ . Select "Veterns Stories" of the left sidebar menu. He is story #171 David Ward.
Old 24-02-15, 06:00 PM

Awesome Todd, you just showed me a brand new site that I was ignoring the existence. The story is interesting.

Thanks a lot!

Just a bit of modernism, here is the "sewing kit" that is still issued today in the CF. It is mostly to repair something. We are no more asked to sew badges on. This one is mine and it is brand new.

Last edited by dauph197; 24-02-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 25-02-15, 12:47 AM

A collection of Canadian Army housewives/sewing kits, including a couple of CF styles (thanks in part to Ed Storey):

http://canadiansoldiers.com/equipmen...nal/sewing.htm
Old 25-02-15, 03:07 AM

I was issued the same CF sewing kit as above in 2006 when I joined... turned out to be pretty handy when my first issue of polypro underwear proved to have some truly half-assed stitching.
Old 25-02-15, 09:26 AM

In my old regiment 1QRR we used to have a tailor visit each Company for about 2 days a week.
But to my recollection only for adjusting battledress blouses & trousers also greatcoats.
The sewing on of badges & chevrons you had to do yourself.
You had your 'Housewife' of course!
I can recall now, during basic training, having instructions as how to sew & darn socks correctly.
We also used to have a barber visit each Company one day a week.
Old 25-02-15, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Awesome Todd, you just showed me a brand new site that I was ignoring the existence. The story is interesting.

Thanks a lot!

Just a bit of modernism, here is the "sewing kit" that is still issued today in the CF. It is mostly to repair something. We are no more asked to sew badges on. This one is mine and it is brand new.
You're not asked to sew badges on because there is a service available. Should the day ever come when that service isn't there and you get issued badges which need to be sewn on then you'll find yourself needing that housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
In my old regiment 1QRR we used to have a tailor visit each Company for about 2 days a week.
But to my recollection only for adjusting battledress blouses & trousers also greatcoats.
The sewing on of badges & chevrons you had to do yourself.
You had your 'Housewife' of course!
I can recall now, during basic training, having instructions as how to sew & darn socks correctly.
We also used to have a barber visit each Company one day a week.
Both barber and tailor were established in their own shops on any main barracks we were in. On my last BAOR posting we even had a chip van which came onto the square after last post and stayed there until about 2am. (No it wasn't Wolfgang for those in the know lol)

The only time I saw a difference to the status quo was when my squadron was detached at Warminster and we went to work at purpose built hangars in Harman Lines, about a mile away from the School of I. We had to return to the School for accommodation and garrison services although there was a small Naafi shop which opened for Naafi break and lunch at Harman Lines.

The barber at the school of I was one of the more famous ones in the army. He and I became firm friends through a shared interest in music. A friendship which remained for many years after I left the army until his death in 2000. He was actually given a military funeral even though he'd never served.
Old 26-02-15, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

one that have been sewn by a machine has the service chevrons up-side down.
Hi, just so you know Good Conduct stripes are sewn on upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48b_5.JPG (6.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 169607d1294780470-good-conduct-stripe-nco-battledress-georges-jacket-001.jpg (62.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 26-02-15, 01:16 PM

tynesideirish: Sorry, I did not write the good thing... second language issue. But thanks for the pictures though.

What I meant is, the one sewn with a machine was apply in the opposite way. So in fact, the chevrons were in the same position of the rank, that's what I meant. My bad.

A picture worth a thousand words they say... even if the quality is not good!

Old 26-02-15, 01:32 PM

I was fortunate to use mine!
Old 26-02-15, 05:57 PM

Default BD Blouse

Those service chevrons look like they were sewn on as an afterthought. What is the manufactured date of that Blouse?
Old 26-02-15, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Those service chevrons look like they were sewn on as an afterthought. What is the manufactured date of that Blouse?
I agree. The stitches and edging look very untidy, not something which would be tolerated in any service environment. Active or not.
Old 26-02-15, 06:02 PM

Edstorey, I do not know the date of that blouse. I'll chevk on my next day to the Museum. In my opinion, I tjink this is a badly restored blouse for whatever the reason. I'll try to investigate the date and reason why they are in the Museum's reserve.

More to follow...
Old 26-02-15, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Ed; please check the date. That R 22é R tunic looks suspiciously post war....
Old 26-02-15, 07:32 PM

Quote:
tynesideirish: A picture worth a thousand words they say... even if the quality is not good!

Are they upside down or do Canadians wear them different.

Marc
Old 26-02-15, 08:31 PM

I hung around with enough Van Doos to actually know this but it was such a long time ago since my days at CFB Lahr.