British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-12, 04:42 AM

Excerpt from G.O.7, 1942:

BADGES AND BUTTONS - THE CANADIAN GRENADIER GUARDS
1. Badges and buttons etc.
2. Officers - Cap Badge
A grenade with seven pointed flame; in gold embroidery on blue cloth
H. 1 13/16 in. W of flame 1 5/16 in. diameter of ball 5/8 in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (44.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Doug N; 01-03-12 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo in the dimensions
Old 05-05-15, 12:20 AM

I thought I'd get this thread active again. South Alberta Light Horse officer's cap badge, c1980s. Big for a cap badge about 75mm high; and not a blazer crest.
Old 05-05-15, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I believe they have been worn at least since the 1980s.
They are worn by all ranks.

Phil
Things may have changed, I was working with the soon to be RSM of 2 Van Doo. He was wearing the officers embroidered cap badge, full colour; very nice badge. This badge is now NCMs only. This refers to post #78.
Old 05-05-15, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn vdSchee View Post
If I hear the term "zipperhead" applied again to armored corps soldiers in general, it will be a thousand times too often. The term applies only to members of LdSH(RC) and was only coined in 1965. Other armoured soldiers are not, repeat NOT, zipperheads. The story of how the name was acquired will have to wait for another time.
As a retired zipperhead, I will comment on the joys of having a lugged badge on the beret. When looking through a persiscope - and this applied to all members of the crew (driver, co-driver, gunner, loader/operator and crew commander) - as the tank was moving cross country, one would often bang one's head on the optical device and drive the lugs into the forehead. Very painful experience and very difficult to conceptualize for people with no tank time - e.g. our Mr Nehring. Most of the crew either removed berets or pushed them to the back of the head to prevent forehead punctures. Officers were more likely to wear embroidered badges because they were more visible outside the turrets of tanks, and thus needed to be seen as being more "pukkha" and because they were authorized to do so, while ORs were not.
That said, I wore an embroidered FGH badge while a member of that regiment, but I have never seen an embroidered LdSH(RC) badge. I also have in my collection an embroidered badge of The Calgary Regiment (Tank).
Wyn
Customs and Traditions of the Canadian Armed Forces, E.C. Russell, Second Printing, May 1981 pg 65 "Zipperheads: The junior ranks of an armoured regiment"