British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-11, 06:13 PM

Default The Malay Regiment

Hi Guys,
Help wanted on this anodised aluminium cap badge please. I know this badge may well be the Malay Regt, but was this style of badge worn by British o.r's serving with the Malay Regt in the 50's / 60's?

Or is this a modern badge worn by Malaysian Forces at present?
Many Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards
UKbrits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0126.jpg (28.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-08-11, 06:47 PM

I don't know if this will help, but look at the middle of the page at the "RAMD" and the badge seems very similar to yours.
Jo
http://kbmyaf.byethost18.com/TDM_recog.htm#vehicle

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 03-08-11, 07:04 PM

Hi Voltigeur,
My Norton virusguard is advising me not to access that site?
Is the bottom scroll on the RAMD badge the same as my badge that I have posted?
I believe the bottom scroll's motto was changed at some stage but don't know when.
Regards
UKbrits
Old 03-08-11, 07:22 PM

The bottom scroll seems to be the same. I can't be sure because the image is small and is an illustration,not an actual photograph.IMO,it's the same.BTW RAMD means; Rejimen Askar Melayu Diraja (Malay: Royal Malay Regiment)
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-08-11, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Guys,
Help wanted on this anodised aluminium cap badge please. I know this badge may well be the Malay Regt, but was this style of badge worn by British o.r's serving with the Malay Regt in the 50's / 60's?

Or is this a modern badge worn by Malaysian Forces at present?
Many Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards
UKbrits
Dear UKbrits,
The badge shown by you is the badge of the ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT. The Regiment now wears a much more smaller version of this badgee. It is made of very light metal of gold plating. (Pictures attached)
The Malay Regiment which had British Officers during their earlier days when they were formed used a much more larger brass batch which looks simiilar to the present ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT BADGE. The visible difference is that : The wordings in the badge of the Malay Regiment are lesser that that in the badge of the ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT. (All picture of the MALAY REGIMENT AND ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT Badges included. Also pictures of the soldier of the ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT (1st Battalion - which are mainly performing Royal Ceremonial Duties) are attached. Picture was taken at the ISTANA NEGARA, in KUALA LUMPUR.
As to their History, it is better to go on-line for the full History of the MALAY REGIMENT and when they were accorded the title "ROYAL" should be available online. Their Officers wears a much more smaller badge ( the centre badge of the main badge itself) minus the TIGERs and the Scroll. (Picture attached).Royal Malay Regiment Old Brass cap badge..jpg

Royal Malay Regiment Officer's cap badge..jpg

Malay Regiment Old Brass cap badges ( Lugs Slider).jpg

Malay Regiment Old Brass cap badges (Lugs Slider) r.jpg

Royal Malay Regiment (current small cap bade).JPG

Royal Malay Regiment (current small cap badge r).JPG

Royal Malay Regiment Soldier Guarding the Istana Negara..jpg

Royal Malay Regiment Soldier Gurading the Istana Negara..jpg
Hope that this information is of help to you.
"STAY HEALTHY AND KEEP FIT - CHEERS!!!

GURKHA RIFLES.
Old 09-08-11, 07:47 PM

Hi Jo , Gurkha Rifles
Thankyou for your very concise answers to my question and for finding the time to post those pics.
I guess the term "Royal" in the Royal Malay Regiment is reffering to the Malaysian Royal family and not our our Royal family here in the U.K?

I was hoping at the start of this thread I had found a a/a cap badge to the Malay Regt - but it looks like I have a bit more searching to do to find one , if one exists?

Many Thanks
UKbrits
Old 10-08-11, 02:23 PM

Default THE MALAY REGIMENT

Dear Ukbrits,
You are absoletely correct. "ROYAL" here is addressing the Malaysian Royal Family. Here it is the staybrite (A/A) capbadge of the ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT ( Old issue) and for comparison a smaller version of the Regiment's brass cap badge.
I knew that I had it somewhere amongst my collection. This large staybrite badge which was used on the "SONGKOK" headress has been in my collection since the 1970s , when I started collection cap badges. I believe that it is now obsolete and no more in use. It has been replaced by the smaller version of gilt metal cap badge shown in the earlier threaad.
I do think that they may have a smaller version of the staybrite cap badge. This I will have to confirm though.
Attached, pictures of the larger A/A cap badge and a smaller version of the brass cap badge for comparison. Also the "songkok" headress of the regiment which is the proper headress to fit the larger badge. In the black / white picture you can also see the collar dogs worn (slightly different from the present collar dogs) by the earlier MALAY REGIMENT prior to being accorded the "ROYAL" title.
Hope that this will answer all your queries pertaining to the MALAY REGIMENT. Please keep in-touch through the FORUM so that we can exchange views in this very interesting hobby.

"CHEERS AND REGARDS!!!"

GURKHA RIFLES

Royal Malay Regiment (AA) and smaller brass cap badge.JPG

Royal Malay Regiment (AA) and smaller brass cap badge (r).JPG

Lt.Adnan bin Saidi (1915 - 1942) - The Malay Regiment.jpg

Malay Regiment Dress Cap or Hat.jpg
Old 12-09-11, 09:02 AM

Hello Gurkha Rifles and fellow collectors,

re the officers pattern badge, is there also a bullion version?

thanks for any info
Old 13-09-11, 03:31 PM

[ATTACH][ATTACH]48838
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Dear L1A1,
Sir, I am very sorry for this very late reply to your Question.
The answer is YES. There is also a bullion version of the ROYAL MALAY REGIMENT OFFICER'S cap badge. (Please see scan)
If you are asking about the older MALAY REGIMENT OFFICER'S cap badge, I think
the OFFICER'S and OTHER RANKS have the same pattern cap badge. Please see picture of the late LT ADNAN BIN SAID ( An Officer of the MALAY REGIMENT). Please also note the collar dogs of the MALAY REGIMENT at that time period.
Hope that this answers your question. CHEERS!!!

GURKHA RIFLES
Old 14-09-11, 12:43 PM

Hello Gurkha Rifles

many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Just to clarify, the Officer's bullion badge in your attachment, is that being worn currently?

Thanks once again
Old 16-09-11, 02:18 PM

Dear L1A1,
Dear Sir,
Sorry again for the late reply. The answer is probably a "YES". The Bullion Officer's cap badge is currently still used. Will try to find out some scans and pass on to you when I get time.
Thanks and regards,
GURKHA RIFLES
Old 17-09-11, 05:26 AM

hello Gurkha Rifles

thanks for the reply and the info. At least I know where to get one of those badges from.

Just as an aside, do you know of any sources for Malaysian badges? Am particularly interested in any of the Malaysian infantry hat badges

regards and thanks again