British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-20, 12:03 PM

Default Unknown Unit Marking - Help required

Hello,

Can anyone tell me which Infantry Regiment would have had this 'Bo' marking in the Victorian era.

Its on an 1888 Slade Wallace belt.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1888Bo.jpg (42.5 KB, 60 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-01-20, 06:44 PM

4th Battalion Border Regiment perhaps?

The Slade Wallace belt was often worn with full dress up to 1914 when full dress was withdrawn. It was worn again after WW1 with Service Dress, particularly by bands right through to the 1950s and later (by the Guards as the Buff Belt) until replaced by a plastic version.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 03-01-20 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 09:52 AM

I agree that it is, on the balance of probability, 4th Border Regiment which would date the issuing of the belt to no earlier than 1908. The low number, given that the T.F. started their number sequencing in 1908, would tend to confirm this.

It might be possible to trace the original owner's name if he was still serving in 1914 and went overseas with the battalion.
Old 04-01-20, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I agree that it is, on the balance of probability, 4th Border Regiment which would date the issuing of the belt to no earlier than 1908. The low number, given that the T.F. started their number sequencing in 1908, would tend to confirm this.

It might be possible to trace the original owner's name if he was still serving in 1914 and went overseas with the battalion.
Thanks for the replies and I agree it must be 4th Border Regiment.

However the 4th Militia Bn Border Regiment existed from 1881 to 1908 and it is to them and not the later post 1908 4th (TF) Bn that this belt would have belonged.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-01-20, 10:13 AM

I cannot find a medal index card for a Border Regiment soldier with the Regimental number 293. I have found that this is not uncommon with men with low T.F. numbers, who tended to be the longest serving Volunteer Battalion members who were renumbered first. A lot of them were at the upper end of the age range and were more usefully employed training other soldiers.

I have found the medal index card for a soldier of the 1/4th Border Regiment who had the regimental number 342 who was even earlier in the queue when the T.F. were again renumbered in 1917. What happened to the 301 soldiers in front of him I can only guess.

The 1/4th Border Regiment spent many years in India during the Great War if I remember correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lowe.jpg (56.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-01-20, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Thanks for the replies and I agree it must be 4th Border Regiment.

However the 4th Militia Bn Border Regiment existed from 1881 to 1908 and it is to them and not the later post 1908 4th (TF) Bn that this belt would have belonged.

regards
I am sure that you are right, I have just got up and I am working from memory not my reference books.