British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-10, 02:19 PM

hi phil,have printed those and will go through the names again,at the moment very busy after 3 under "5",(grandchildren).thanks once again.
Old 09-03-10, 08:41 PM

Hello Mike,i bet those kids keep you fit!.I have had another look at the Potton book which i can now see in its proper context with illustrations,there is a picture of Allen Gill on page 47,who has signed the card and arranged the music.This could well be the conductor of the Alexandra Palace choral and orchestral society,who conducted a new piece by Elgar in 1906 in front of the great man.On page 78 there are a couple of pictures of a foot inspection, when i looked at this i had a feeling i had seen this before,i searched through some old photos i had from the sixties and bingo.The reverse of the picture has UAVR in the top left corner (cropped).On page 80 the photo of the range party matches exactly with named members on the reverse.It's a funny old world!.Regards Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg united arts foot inspection 1.jpg (76.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg united arts foot inspection 2.jpg (27.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg united arts range 1.jpg (74.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-03-10, 08:43 PM

The second reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg united arts range 2.jpg (47.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-03-10, 07:26 AM

hi phil,this is absolutely great stuff many thanks once again.Have found out about london pharmacists volunteers through armourer magazine,written by guess who? yes ray westlake. I am going to woking today surrey history centre as they have a copy of book, see if i can find any out about grandfather. Once again many thanks for all your help. regards mike.
Old 16-03-10, 09:03 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Phil,just to keep you up-to-date about visit to woking, read through UAVR book and got some photcopying including one with my grandfather in it as part of 2 platoon "d"company(pharmacists) cup competition 1918.Should you get the oppurtunity to see this photo he is rear row 6th from the left. Well worth the train fare and the surrey history centre staff are so helpful. If i find out anything else i'll be in touch.All the best mike.
Old 17-03-10, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the update Mike, i have had a look at the photograph and got a visual on your grandfather always good to put a face to a name, where was it taken? it has a touch of the 'Bisley' about it.Regards Phil.