British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-13, 11:14 AM

Default Royal New Zealand Airforce - Slouch Hat

I would appreciate confirmation that the Badge on this 1943 Australian manufactured Slouch Hat is for the Royal New Zealand Airforce. Also if the Hat and badge are scarce. Starting to thin out some of my collection and will be parting with this soon. Many thanks, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h1.JPG (48.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg h2.JPG (73.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg h3.JPG (66.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg h4.jpg (55.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg h5.jpg (56.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 26-01-13, 11:58 AM

Hi Clive,

I can confirm for you that the badge is that of the Royal New Zealand Air Force, sorry i can not help you with scarcity or value.

Regards,

Phil
Old 26-01-13, 12:02 PM
Banned

Does that mean that some Aussie bloke got done the better of by a Kiwi ?

This one here is a tad different

http://www.militariashop.com.au/inde...oducts_id=3228

Last edited by Max on the crest trail; 26-01-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 26-01-13, 09:46 PM

these badges very common - maybe NZD5.00 or GBP2.50

one of the few you can still find in junk shops

hat - no idea never seen this badge worn with that type of hat and as its a Oz hat probably unlikely
Old 27-01-13, 02:26 PM

Many thanks for the confirmation of the Cap Badge, much appreciated. Interesting comment that this Badge has such a low value, try to find any original Badge in the UK for £2.50 would be a stretch, perhaps very plentiful in New Zealand. I have no doubt that the Slouch Hat and Badge have always been together. Why is it unlikely that a RNZAF Cap Badge would be fastened to an Australian Made Slouch Hat? Whilst New Zealand may have their own Manufacturer, there is no good reason why an Australian one would not also be used. Thought I would just check the Badge fastening and undid the popper, for some reason I had never done this previously, and was pleasantly surprised to find an RAF Flash sewn to the Puggaree. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ Hat.JPG (84.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 27-01-13, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee1 View Post
Many thanks for the confirmation of the Cap Badge, much appreciated. Interesting comment that this Badge has such a low value, try to find any original Badge in the UK for £2.50 would be a stretch, perhaps very plentiful in New Zealand. I have no doubt that the Slouch Hat and Badge have always been together. Why is it unlikely that a RNZAF Cap Badge would be fastened to an Australian Made Slouch Hat? Whilst New Zealand may have their own Manufacturer, there is no good reason why an Australian one would not also be used. Thought I would just check the Badge fastening and undid the popper, for some reason I had never done this previously, and was pleasantly surprised to find an RAF Flash sewn to the Puggaree. Regards, Clive.
They are not New Zealand slouch hat shape or puggaree , not for WW2 . Putting those with the RAF flash and the RNZAF badge adds up to an odd bundle.
I wonder how that came about.
Old 27-01-13, 03:35 PM

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the Slouch Hat is Australian manufactured and is definitely WW2 as it is dated 1943 on the inner band. I have no idea how it all came about, but unless proven otherwise, do not see any problem with the combination. Regards, Clive.
Old 27-01-13, 03:39 PM
Banned

Clive ,
I'm not doubting the parts , its the puzzle that is odd .

Max
Old 27-01-13, 10:27 PM
Banned

Not too odd. Hat is made in Victoria (hence the 'V' prefix to the stores number). I have two Aussie made ones, one with a khaki puggaree and RAF flash, the other with puggaree and RAAF cap badge, neither with a popper to fix the side up. In the tropics they'd wear whatever was most comfortable. Is say this was okay. Value, around the £100 plus mark.
Old 27-01-13, 11:44 PM
Banned

You miss the point .

It is not where the hat was produced that matters , many hats were made in one country , and worn by people from another .
It is the shape the crown in relation to the RNZAF badge .

Does anyone have any proof (other that this tri nations hat) that in 1943 New Zealanders wore slouch hats shaped in the Australian bash manner with one leaf of the brim raised , and with an RAF flash and an RNZAF badge ?
What theater of war is it from ? Who was the individual who was connected to 3 nations at once ?
And what proof is there that it is not a souvenir that was cobbled together for fun ?

This hat has a story to tell .

Last edited by Max on the crest trail; 28-01-13 at 12:06 AM.
Old 28-01-13, 01:41 AM
Banned

I tried to answer that in my post. So, no proof at all it wasn't made up.

As demonstrated, these hats were supplied by Australia to their own forces as well as the British, and therefore probably the RNZAF, so no need for a connection to three countries. No I've not seen Air Force hats with the badge worn on the side, but in the Far East supply was not always plentiful. If the brim could be worn up it usually was (mine can't be). The RAF flash was frequently worn by other nations.

In short, there is no way of knowing the origins, as it does not follow a recognised pattern. The format is quite likely to have been worn, but like anything it could have been made up. Could also be a reissue, a bartered item, or from a RAF bod who added a souvenir RNZAF cap badge.
Old 28-01-13, 10:50 AM

Thank you for the further comments. This Hat, now in its 70th year, does not have any history or provenance, so impossible to prove anything, one way or the other. I bought it about 25 to 30 years ago from a friend, who used to be a well respected Aviation collector. In fact I saw him yesterday at Stoneleigh and should have taken the opportunity to ask if he recalled anything about it. I have no doubt that the Hat is original, as is the RAF Flash and the RNZAF Badge, but how it came to be in this combination I doubt will never be known. Regards, Clive.
Old 28-01-13, 11:10 AM

Clive, I would suggest you have a nice RAAF slouch hat.
The RAAF did not wear the brim up, which would make it easier to view the lovely patch.
The RAAF wore their badge at the front, are there any holes to the front?
Old 28-01-13, 11:54 AM

The Slouch Hat is badged RNZAF and not RAAF. I have checked the front and there are no signs of any holes or evidence of a badge being fastened. Had a quick look on Google and there are several images of Cap badges being worn on the raised side of Australian Slouch hats. This hat is not the New Zealand "Lemon Squeezer" pattern, badges were certainly worn on the front of those. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZHAT2.JPG (59.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 28-01-13, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee1 View Post
Thank you for the further comments. This Hat, now in its 70th year, does not have any history or provenance, so impossible to prove anything, one way or the other. I bought it about 25 to 30 years ago from a friend, who used to be a well respected Aviation collector. In fact I saw him yesterday at Stoneleigh and should have taken the opportunity to ask if he recalled anything about it. I have no doubt that the Hat is original, as is the RAF Flash and the RNZAF Badge, but how it came to be in this combination I doubt will never be known. Regards, Clive.
Have I got this right ?
You have had this hat for 25 or 30 years and it was not until last Wednesday , 23/01/2013 at 1.56 pm that you thought to find out what it was .
Why did you wait so long ?