British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-20, 10:56 PM

Default Help Please

I am new to the site and am looking for information and hopefully pictures to refer to.
I work for the NHS in a service supporting veterans. I am planning to make a display on Scottish Regimental cap badges and would like to get the correct badges. I am buying cap badges from e bay and am paying for all items myself. I am amazed how some members can tell if a badge is fake or not, which made me think if I've been paying too much for the badges already purchased. The quality isn't really an issue as the display is mainly going to be a visual history of Scottish Regiments. I currently have badges for Royal Scots, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Highland light infantry, Royal Highland Fusiliers, King's Own Scottish Borderers, Scottish Rifles, 90th Regiment of Foot, Cameronians, Black Watch, 93rd Regiment of Foot, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 72nd Regiment of Foot, Seaforth Highlanders, Queen's Own Highlanders, 93rd Regiment of Foot, Gordon Highlanders, Royal Regiment of Scotland. Would I be correct in saying I would still need 42nd 71st & 73rd 74th and 75th Regiments of foot, who I think were formed and amalgamated into the regiments listed. can anyone advise how much I should be paying for the 42nd 71st & 73rd 74th and 75th, does anyone have pictures to make sure I have / am purchasing the correct badges. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-20, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hello minty1, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 08-07-20, 12:07 AM

Well, if you are seeking originals for the pre 1882 badges you mentioned, be prepared to spend some "big bucks".
It would also take quite some time learn to identify originals and find them as well due; they have been faked to death and the vast majority one sees are such. Unfortunately you most likely already have fakes for the numbered badges you have mentioned.
If a representative display is all that is required, perhaps the restrikes are the best way to go, but one should certainly not be paying the prices commensurate with those offered as originals, as most regrettably are.

CB
Old 10-07-20, 07:19 PM

Many thanks for your reply. I wouldn't know where to start trying to tell the difference of quality or what's classed as a re strike. Are you able to give me an indication of the price I should be paying for the badges I'm still looking to purchase. I've been holding off as I think £15 for one badge is a bit steep but if that's what they cost then I'll have to grin and bear it. it will just take longer to make the display.
Old 10-07-20, 08:19 PM

Add a zero.

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-07-20, 08:58 PM

As Simon says for a genuine pre-territorial glengarry badge £120-150 or more for rarer examples is the going rate.

If you’re happy with repros, which sounds the best option for you, then pay as little as possible. In the late 90s as a very young collector I paid £20 each for what turned out to repro PT glengarries from a market in Rochester, so, I’d say £15 not unreasonable if they’re better quality repros.