British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-23, 01:21 PM

Default The Skins Collar Badges

Hopefully, Neil s will not mind me using a couple of his images to illustrate my question, are the Skins OSD collar badges left and right handed? I have read that the collar badge was sometimes worn on the cap. If so, am I correct in thinking that only the LH badge, as seen below, would have been used?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70232.jpg (45.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 23797.jpg (43.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 21-01-23, 03:35 PM

Skins Collar badges were the same on each side, in other words not facing pairs.
The only badges of the smaller collar size were the silver and gilt type as worn on the FSC or dress cap by officers or senior NCOs to my knowledge.
I don't believe the OSD bronze collars were worn as a cap badge, but I could be wrong.

CB
Old 21-01-23, 10:28 PM

Many thanks, CB, I did wonder because the flames are different, those at the front going left or right, and this it turns out, is just a different manufacturer thing. Anyhow, in recent days I've acquired a couple of Inniskilling Fusilier badges, these were described as cap badges, but it does seem that they are really collars, there would seem to be a bit of a grey area with these badges, due to where the lugs ought to be on the silver/gilt badge and whether there really should be blades on the OSD!

I have searched every post ever made on these forums where Inniskilling Fusilier is mentioned, and I've found that pictures of the offending items are far and few between. However, thanks to Neil s, again, for the last pic, showing the pre 1927 OSD cap badge with blades, I don't suppose there was anything to stop any Officer from wearing a collar badge on his cap, if he wanted or needed to, but it would still be a collar, of course!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13874.jpg (45.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13877.jpg (39.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13875.jpg (46.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13878.jpg (41.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13876.jpg (45.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13880.jpg (41.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 23797.jpg (43.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 50799a.jpg (40.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 31-01-23 at 01:58 PM.
Old 21-01-23, 11:45 PM

Apparently the Skins OSD cap badges were the same size as the collar badges.
As mentioned, it is very likely some lugged badges were worn on the caps as well.

CB
Old 22-01-23, 06:20 AM

Yes, I believe the silver/gilt collar badge sized badge was worn as a cap badge. Here is mine on blades for reference but the gilt is worn off.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27b.jpg (111.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 22-01-23, 08:27 AM

Many thanks, chaps, it looks like I actually have two collar badges that may or may not have ever been used on a cap. Wonderful, things can only get better, I ordered the silver KOSB cap badge shown below just before Chrimbo, I didn't get it, I think that it had actually already been sold, I did, however, get a full refund.

Not so, with the next badge, I'm afraid, I don't have that one either, but it did cost me £14.75 in totally unnecessary postage at the beginning of this month and the dealer concerned has put the £55 refund in his back pocket. I should have known better, of course, but for anyone who doesn't, do not buy from this guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500 (2).jpg (46.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500 (3).jpg (44.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13842.jpg (60.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 22-01-23 at 06:01 PM.