British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-23, 01:27 AM

Default Badge lost in Royal Mail during strike - dealer not paying

Hi all. A badge that was sent to me in India by Royal Mail International Signed For has not arrived in nearly 2 months. It was accepted at the local post office on Nov 23 but has not moved from there since then. Other medals bought just after that date have arrived safely in a weeks time. The dealer said he would give meva refund but is now not giving it saying it must be held up somewhere because of the cyberincident.
But i have received a medal posted later that arrived so don't know what to do. I suspect the package has been misplaced or lost during the strike.
Unfortunately I didn't know that the item was not covered by the ebay money back guarantee so ebay can't press the dealer for payment.
The dealer is saying it's a loss for him but its insured upto 50gbp so he will get his money back as the item price was 30 GBP but I am losing both the badge and the Money.
What do I do?.
Old 21-01-23, 01:31 AM

I understand your concern, and it may be possible that it has gotten delayed due tot he strikes and now the Royal Mail Hack. I have a package sent in country 2nd class that is well over 2 months missing, but I still expect it to arrive as they dig through the backlog.

Hope yours will eventually show up as well!

Terry
Old 21-01-23, 02:10 AM

Last week I was still getting badges posted in November that in some cases had just 20 miles to travel. This week we are receiving our Xmas cards posted early-mid December. All due to Royal Mail’s strike action.

I would expect your item isn’t lost just severely delayed.

Hopefully you paid with either PayPal or credit card so have buyer protection and can make a claim via them.

In all honesty I’d give it another couple weeks before pressing the panic button.
Old 21-01-23, 12:07 PM

Default Badge lost in Royal Mail during strike - dealer not paying

Khyber,

As Terry and Luke say, it is likely just a long delay due to all the issues RM have had as a result of Industrial Action and the recent Cyber Attack.

However, ultimately, you shouldn't end up financially penalised.

My understanding is that with UK Consumer law the dealer is responsible for the listing and has effectively 'contracted' the Royal Mail to deliver the item. Therefore, it would be for the dealer to pursue the matter with the courier, ie Royal Mail, and not for the buyer to do.

After a reasonable time period, the dealer should make a Loss Claim against RM as he /she will have the photographic proof of postage receipt, item value invoice details etc....and if the RM accept it is lost, then as it's insured, should refund the dealer on completion of a successful claim, and who in turn should refund you.

Mike
Old 21-01-23, 02:31 PM

Thanks for your responses everybody. Hopefully the Royal Mail glitch will be sorted out soon and the badge will be on its way. Will wait a couple of weeks and hope for the best. The dealer should refund me eventually and get compensation from Royal Mail l guess.
Old 21-01-23, 02:54 PM

Hi,
Why isn't it covered by Ebays money back guarantee? My experience of Ebay is that if there is no tracking then they find in the buyers favour.
Old 21-01-23, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1666 View Post
Hi,
Why isn't it covered by Ebays money back guarantee? My experience of Ebay is that if there is no tracking then they find in the buyers favour.
If you read the first post you will see that there IS tracking.

Dave.