British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-21, 02:05 AM

I think it may make people nervous to come forward with their examples of badges as so many get labelled as fakes.
Old 19-09-21, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Could just be an all brass economy badge.
Could be, though it looks rather dull, unpolished, but then badges can sometimes appear to be dull when they're bright, eg a different era, different photographic procedures etc but I have a few photos somebody took of me in NI during the 70's. Taken within minutes of each other, one of them shows what is clearly a black painted beret badge being worn - except it isn't, it's the same unpainted anod al badge shown bright and glittery in the other photos.

Despite the rifles buttons and what I think are blackened s/ts I veer towards 6th Bn titles rather than 5th though I may be wrong.
Old 19-09-21, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Fair enough Leigh I don’t doubt you. Just the area circled I couldn’t see it and felt it looked very off centre (to the viewers right) of the cap going by its peak.

Second pic is interesting. The badge looks lighter than the buttons but not as bright as the buckle, which I assume as a prop would perhaps polished? As Alan says it may be an all GM badge which just hasn’t been polished.

I found this pic online. States he’s 6th Bn but the badge looks blacked going by the buttons. Might he have transferred?
No, there's room for doubt, I think I'm looking at an East Yorks type badge, if you can't see it then I'm happy with that, I think I'm right but maybe not.

Sgt Arthur Gresty, East Yorks and Labour Corps (his East Yorks serial number has a "3" prefix, is that Special Reserve Bn?).
Could he be wearing a blackened badge as a make do carry over from previous service in a Battalion that wore them?

The Vic crowned belt lockets feature in some studio portraits of non-regular troops in WWI, they're usually on belts of a lighter shade, buff leather or brown, the belts worn in the two images I've shown may be black, rather than a studio prop Vic VB Rifles ones that are issued?

Photos seem to be raising more questions rather than providing answers.
Old 20-09-21, 12:16 PM

Thanks Leigh. Yes I agree at the moment the photos aren’t painting a very clear picture.

Ideally what’s needed is a picture of them in a pre-war camp and a few wartime portraits.

I’m certain they’re out there as doing Google searches pixilated thumbnails of past eBay items do appear but sadly the listings have been removed and remaining thumbnails are too small and poor resolution to be of help.
Old 10-01-23, 07:01 PM

Heads up on a 5th bn badge on FSC. Not identified as cyclists nor 5th bn but the badge and buttons are correct as far as i can tell. I`m not doing a spoiler on ebay as this is only available Buy It Now so no bidding involved. I have no connection with the seller either. Take a look

regards, Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225201457...4AAOSwTiNjKFWj
Old 10-01-23, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the WW2 hat does not match the WW1 badge of the 5th which stopped being worn in 1920.
Old 10-01-23, 07:32 PM

I think that the badge on the cap being offered for sale was probably worn by a member of the Home Guard, who seem to have had a habit of blackening their cap badges.
Old 15-01-23, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

An interesting photo of EY Cyclists with their bicycles wearing brass badges and buttons so it appears that the blackened insignia was not universal.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...omment-3180011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-15 09.46.51.jpg (57.8 KB, 28 views)

Tags
cyclist