British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-03-08, 08:57 PM

Default Royal Dublin Fus

oh what an intinresting story

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-B...QQcmdZViewItem

I've well laught

@ Patrick
Old 12-03-08, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

E Bibb and sons appear to have world leaders in advanced badge making as the style of construction and style of slider would rival a modern makers ability. They even did away with brazing holes before 1920 - truly world beaters.

Alan
Old 12-03-08, 09:04 PM

They're certainly not boer war for a start, as they would be lugged like this one.

Secondly I can see no braze holes on the scroll which is a bad sign, all of my RDFs have braze holes on the scorll, I do believe I saw a picture of one posted on the forum which was said to be genuine with a single braze hole behind the elephant and tiger. Would be interesting to see if these have a hole in said position, but I doubt it.

Nice little collection, if they were real that's about £450 worth of unissued badges he has on that card... however I remain to be convinced

poor definition on the tiger is also a bad sign as seen in this case, tell tale sign of a restrike.

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r 003.jpg (88.1 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Luke H; 12-03-08 at 09:08 PM. Reason: i can't spell
Old 12-03-08, 09:08 PM

A person with that much imagination, could do very well out of writing children's books, rather than selling Militaria !

Cheers !
Steve
Old 12-03-08, 09:10 PM

I wonder if he has a similar card of 'original' LRDGs, as I've been after one for a while lol.
Old 12-03-08, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy McGinty View Post
I wonder if he has a similar card of 'original' LRDGs, as I've been after one for a while lol.
Maybe... but he's definently selling his second 16th Queens Lancers in a fortnight. I got £20 for mine listed as a restrike (which I was more than happy with, it is a copy after all) a few weeks ago, he got £40+ a couple of days later.
Old 12-03-08, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Maybe... but he's definently selling his second 16th Queens Lancers in a fortnight. I got £20 for mine listed as a restrike (which I was more than happy with, it is a copy after all) a few weeks ago, he got £40+ a couple of days later.
Crafty little rotter, always needles me when people are dishonest and make a lot of cash from it. Well it looks as though we'll be seeing a dodgey dubs a week listed 'till his supply runs out mid summer... roll on July

£20 very good for a restrike, I never intentionally buy 'em would rather wait for a real one... I still dream of picking up a good LRDG for a £5 down the bootfair. If my uncle can find a 1944 denison with para wings and captains pips for a fiver (lucky sod), I don't see why my little dream can't come true.

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 13-03-08 at 12:04 AM.
Old 13-03-08, 07:03 AM

My only comment is that there are not many ,if any "old antiques shops in Liverpool"anymore where this rare find supposedly came from.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-03-08, 04:51 PM

Here is my good one for your enjoyment.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 13-03-08, 05:19 PM
ulsterman

Quote:
I still dream of picking up a good LRDG for a £5 down the bootfair. If my uncle can find a 1944 denison with para wings and captains pips for a fiver (lucky sod), I don't see why my little dream can't come true.

Luke

There is a monthly boot sale very close to my home which I always attend in the hope of getting a bargain somewhere. The one month I didnt get, someone picked up a WW1 gallanty group plus some badges for 40 quid. Still proves the point that bargains can still be found.

Jonny
Old 14-03-08, 03:21 PM

Spencer,

All Dubs, Munsters, (flag left) Skins Fusiliers should have braze holes! (there are one or two exceptions I know of but these go against the rule of thumb and you really do need to know what you're looking for/at in such cases)

All my 4 dubs all have braze holes on the scroll as well as behind the tiger.

Both my victorian ones have 3 rectangular braze holes on the scroll one to the outer of the lugs either side plus a central one (see earlier post for pic).

One slider version I have has 3 slotted braze holes on the scroll whereas the other has two circular ones on the scroll towards either end like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-ROYAL...QQcmdZViewItem (which is a good genuine one btw).

I have seen one dubs badge someone stated was genuine with only braze holes behind the tiger and elephant and none on the scroll, so I'm taking their word on that one this may well be the case with yours. Yours is rather bright on the back though (considering it should be 80 going on 90 years old) which isn't a good sign I have to say, the sliders a tad short also. But on the plus side there are stripes and detail on the tiger which is a good sign.

Braze holes have been faked on dubs by drilling so the area around the hole will be raised and rough from the drilling.

Luke

(I'm having trouble resizing my pics but if you want one PM me and I'll email it to you)

Last edited by Luke H; 14-03-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 14-03-08, 03:43 PM

Sussed it. This is the badge form a different die, with alternative braze hole construction.

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dubs1.jpg (5.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 14-03-08, 04:12 PM

Default 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers message board

I have an old oak and Silver message board probably from the officers mess of the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers shown below. It is inscribed PRESENTED TO THE OFFICERS,1ST BATTALION ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILERS BY LIEUTS GROVE & CAREW APRIL 1ST 1910.
Looking for any info on these two officers and any info on this unique piece of old militaria...can't find a whole lot about thisunit in Canada other than generalities about its history...thanks fellas,Mike.

Old 14-03-08, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sussed it. This is the badge form a different die, with alternative braze hole construction.

Luke
Nice badge. Not the usual solid backed one with round sweat holes but a differnt makers' product. There were more than one maker involved and I suspect that during WW1 other subcontractors produced their own variations.
It is (mostly) always easy to spot the fakes as you can compare them to the flaws in known fakes, much harder to damn a less common variation. While Spencers' badge may have 2 holes in it the appearance of the back does not have 90 years of age for me and I would replace it if it was in my collection. That is not to say ithat I can be 100% certain that it is wrong just I would get a better example as I am 90% certain it is not right for a pre 1920 badge.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 14-03-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 14-03-08, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Nice badge. Not the usual solid backed one with round sweat holes but a differnt makers' product. There were more than one maker involved and I suspect that during WW1 other subcontractors produced their own variations.
It is (mostly) always easy to spot the fakes as you can compare them to the flaws in known fakes, much harder to damn a less common variation. While Spencers' badge may have 2 holes in it the appearance of the back does not have 90 years of age for me and I would replace it if it was in my collection. That is not to say ithat I can be 100% certain that it is wrong just I would get a better example as I am 90% certain it is not right for a pre 1920 badge.

Alan
Alan

Agree with you 100% mate, can't categorically say its fake but then I can't gaurentee it's genuine either... its one of those ones that niggles in your mind at night innit. Agewise it looks more 1992 than 1922, certainly one I'd replace ASAP personally.

From the badges in mine and my uncles collections there are at least 4 individual different dies in use for slidered versions, all with different braze hole constructions.

With restrike dubs do you think the scroll and lettering looks too chunky? All of mine have the writing in thin but distinct high relief lettering, restrikes seem to have flatter fatter letters that you don't notice as such but just seem to sit wong when you look at the badge over all. Scroll also looks different in restrikes somehow, cant put my finger on it.

Like you say subcontractors in times of emergency would do things differently Im sure and cut corners, like my Munsters without braze holes, where the tiger has slipped... very similar in appearance to WW1 lambourne made Norfolks and their misaligned scrolls.

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 14-03-08 at 05:09 PM.