British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-09, 11:51 AM

Default real or restrikes

Hi All, I'm looking to pick all your brains. What is your opinions of these badges being sold as a large collection, that is being broken up. I would appreciate any input on this matter. Thanks very much, uncletom
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260379717076
Old 25-03-09, 12:22 PM

This seller does have some very good items from time to time, but also some real dross. For instance the Welch Regiment badge offered is a modern copy.
I think this is one where you would need to know your subject matter and take your chances.
Hwyl,
41st
Old 25-03-09, 12:45 PM
Former Member

uncletom,
I've had some very good items off this seller, as mentioned by 41st you need to exercise a little caution! The seller does refund in full if you are not happy with your item and they do have some very nice items!

Andy
Old 25-03-09, 01:01 PM
L&BH

Same here. All got some genuine stuff from him, perfect service so far.
Old 26-03-09, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I would judge each badge that is being sold on its own merits. Some I would pay money for but I would not buy the 22 Dragoons badge or 6th Innniskillings badges for example.

Alan
Old 26-03-09, 11:28 AM
L&BH

Though I am not interested in it, why would you be reluctant in buying the 22D one??
Cheers
phil
Old 26-03-09, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBHY View Post
Though I am not interested in it, why would you be reluctant in buying the 22D one??
Cheers
phil
I would not buy this either , the lack of voiding of the numerals and lack of void below the 'D' and scroll.
IMO the badge is a /repo/restrike, just because they got it from marlows dosen't make it genuine i have bought from them and i know not all are.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 26-03-09, 01:23 PM
L&BH

fine. Thanks for the details.
Old 26-03-09, 07:42 PM

I noticed that he has an original World War 2 Royal Lincolnshire Regiment badge for sale. This is rather strange as The Lincolnshire Regiment didn't become Royal until after World War 2.

Avoid him like the plague

James
Old 26-03-09, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBHY View Post
Cheers
phil

Phil,

As mentioned above I would rather spend £15 on a voided example as it it the voided versions that I have seen in WW2 photographs.

Alan
Old 26-03-09, 08:06 PM

Default OK?

I agree with the majority. I have had some good basic KDG and Bays badges off him in the past all genuine. However he can be a little 'artistic' in his descriptions...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kings-Dragoon-...1%7C240%3A1318
This is no such thing... It is the bottom half of a Victorian/Edwardian KDG ORs undress pouch ornament. It would have been surmounted by a crown. He ignored me when i told him of this... which is unusual behaviour!
Old 26-03-09, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Phil,

As mentioned above I would rather spend £15 on a voided example as it it the voided versions that I have seen in WW2 photographs.

Alan
Voided versions for the 22nd Dragoons only for me to and with sliders also.

He's certainly not the worst seller on ebay, far from it and I too have been happy but careful with what I've bought so far.

The large Scottish RVC/VB collection came from an auction which I attended. I looked at the board for ages and ages trying to decide whether to bid and one of the employees even asked me my opinion as they weren't sure and neither was I so I didn't even bid. My answer was that pretty much everything was available as a copy on ebay (South Wales) but there were one or two which looked genuine and if so would bail the buyer out and that's been the case. Some are good, other dubious but speaking to experienced Scottish collectors they're more than happy in what they've bought.

The collection sold for approx £750 + fees.
Old 27-03-09, 01:11 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
I would not buy this either , the lack of voiding of the numerals and lack of void below the 'D' and scroll.
IMO the badge is a /repo/restrike, just because they got it from marlows dosen't make it genuine i have bought from them and i know not all are.

Malc
Through my limited knowledge and experience ( I keep saying this because it really is the case ), I would endorse Malc's remarks, as with another friendly ebay seller from upt'north, they appear to use the auction seller 'Marlow's' as a guarantee and this just isn't the case.

I will say that some of his sales have increased in quality but he and she are still making some basic mistakes, I've had a couple of beauts from them but I've also returned a few !!!

Dave.
Old 27-03-09, 01:36 PM

What is people's opinion of the Middlesex Regiment badge please?
Old 27-03-09, 01:49 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default M'sex Reg't

Hello Chris,

We seem to have the M'sex Reg't badge on two threads, or is it two different badges ?? I've just followed your remarks about one on the Forum Projects post.

Is it me ?? I would like members views also but on my own badges.

All the best.

Dave.