British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-12, 09:56 PM

Default RN Officiating Ministers and RN Lay Readers Society

Hello

I was originally going to include this in the thread on the RN Chaplains bronze badge but upon reflection I think it is better suited to inclusion in a new thread. RN Chaplains weren't the only ones taking care of the spiritual needs of the Navy - there were also Royal Navy Officiating Ministers and the Royal Naval Lay Readers Society.

At the start of the Great War in 1914 all Chaplains serving in the Royal Navy were ordained priests in the Church of England. However, the large influx of personnel of other denominations into the Royal Navy during the war meant that arrangements had to be made to take care of their spiritual needs. Ministers of other denominations were therefore appointed as 'Officiating Ministers'. These were in receipt of a fixed salary and served mostly at Base Ports and Naval Establishments.

Like the regular Royal Navy Chaplains, no uniform was worn by Officiating Ministers. They were identified by a gilt and enamel badge, approximately 46mm x 25mm, topped with a gilt Naval Crown. (See Image Below).At the centre of the badge is a white enamel cross on a blue enamel background with the letters 'R' and 'N' in gold in the two lower quadrants. Surrounding this is a band of white enamel in the form of a Garter. One side of the Garter has the word 'OFFICIATING' in gilt lettering and the other side has 'MINISTERS' also in gilt lettering. Marked on the back with 'Firmin London' in raised lettering.

Now to turn to the Royal Naval Lay Readers Society. This was formed in 1860 and was originally known as the Royal Naval Scripture Readers Society. The Society was renamed the Royal Naval Lay Readers Society (RNLRS) in 1930. Members of the Society supported the work of Naval Chaplains and were themselves employed by the Royal Navy. They wore a uniform consisting of a navy blue single-breasted jacket with a shoulder-flash on each shoulder bearing the words 'R.N. LAY READER' embroidered in white (See Image Below), navy blue trousers, black shoes, white shirt with a black tie and an RN peaked cap with a Scripture Reader's/Lay Reader's badge on the front. This was the rig worn by Lay Readers up to and during the Second World War and for several years afterwards.

I have never been able to find an illustration of the cap badge so if anyone out there can help I would be extremely interested!

In 1959 the RNLRS became an association for voluntary work and as Lay Readers were no longer employed by the Royal Navy they were no longer entitled to a uniform. The Society still exists today, although it has now changed its name to the Royal Naval Licensed Readers Society, and it continues to support Royal Navy Chaplains in their work.

I hope the above is of interest to someone! A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all members of the Forum.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scanned Documentc.jpg (52.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Scanned Documentd.jpg (34.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Scanned Documenta.jpg (22.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Scanned Documentb.jpg (25.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 23-12-12, 10:25 PM

Default RN Ministers etc

Thank you for posting this interesting subject I learn something new every day.
Old 25-12-12, 06:21 PM

1. In place of "Officiating Minister" there is a similar badge with "Officiating Chaplain". Furthermore there is another badge of the same size, inscribed "Honorary Chaplain Sea Cadet Corps", but rather than "RN", it is decorated with an Anchor running diagonally southwest to northeast.

2a. There is a s/t on lugs, "RNSR", these letters joined at the base, cut from sheet brass, in the same shape as the cloth version shown above. I have a note that the jacket worn by RNSR had shoulder straps - unlike the normal RN jacket.
b. The cap badge would appear to be in wm, die struck, on E/W lugs, in the form of a Cross Pattee, 34mm x 34mm.
Each arm of the Cross bears a letter:left "R", right "N", top "S" and bottom "R". In the centre is a Naval Crown.
c. A badge of the RNLRS is in the same enamels as badges at para 1, but is considerably larger at 52mm x 43mm. I suspect, as well as possibly being used as a lapel badge, it would be worn on the blue scarf of a qualified CE (Anglican) Lay Reader.
Old 25-12-12, 06:59 PM

In addition to what revdougal has added, here is the SCC Chaplains badge that he mentions and the cap badge.

An interesting thread by the way, thanks

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 25-12-12, 07:02 PM

See above.......

Last edited by Nozzer; 30-09-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 26-12-12, 11:10 AM

Hi revdougal and Andy

Many thanks for the additional information given above. The description I have of the uniforms worn by the RN Lay Readers came from the Office of the Chaplain of the Fleet but unfortunately at the time I contacted them they were moving to new premises and a lot of information was packed away and inaccessible. The information you have provided helps fill in some of the gaps. It is also very interesting to see how a variant of the Officiating Ministers badge continued to be used by the Sea Cadets.

Once again, many thanks.

Pete
Old 26-12-12, 01:28 PM

revdougal

Would I be correct in assuming that badges marked "OFFICIATING MINISTERS" would be worn by representatives of such groups as Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, etc, while those marked "OFFICIATING CHAPLAINS" would be worn by representatives of the Roman Catholics and, perhaps, even Anglicans? The fact that I found my Officiating Ministers badge in Scotland might appear to support this.

And would I also be correct in assuming that the cap badge of the RNLRS would be similar to that of the RNSRS, with the letters "RNSR" simply changed to "RNLR"?

Many thanks for the detailed information you have already supplied.

Pete
Old 26-12-12, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the post. I got to know a R.N. Lay Reader aboard H.M.S. Howe in Devonport in 1951 who impressed me greatly and got me thinking about things. Your post has told me more about a man I have a great respect for.
johnG
Old 27-12-12, 05:21 PM

I am not aware that there is any difference between Officiating "Minister" and "Chaplain". I suspect this is merely a "Custom of the Service" (RN), the former being the older version?
Today all 3 services use the title "Chaplain" covering all Christian denominations and beyond; however you are correct to suggest different terminology, for in the civilian church, there was once the correct differentiation between "Clergy and Ministers". The former applied to episcopal churches and the latter to Non-Conformist churches in England.
The badge of the RN Lay Readers Society does not look to me like a cap badge, nor is it anything similar to the badge of RNSR. It is in enamel with a white circlet, suitably inscribed, with a white cross, with "frilly" ends, overlapping the circlet and in the centre a large gold Anchor; inside the circlet is dark blue enamel. The badge is topped by the Naval Crown. All script in gold. The pin brooch is similar to that on the other badges mentioned above, and IMO is nowhere near the "Stout Pin" associated with headdress badges.
In the History of Naval Chaplains, "The Sea Chaplains", there is a bit of info on page 268.
Old 28-12-12, 09:51 PM

revdougal

Many thanks for your latest comments. Very much appreciated.

Surely the RNLRS must have worn a cap badge in the same way as the RNSRS. I agree that the enamelled RNLRS badge you describe is too large for a cap badge but surely it would have made sense to simply change the lettering on the RNSRS white metal cap badge so that one could continue to be worn? Have you ever seen an example?

I have a copy of the 'Sea Chaplains' - an excellent volume. I will look up the page mentioned.

I have photocopies of several documents relating to the history of the Society which were sent to me by the Chaplain of the Fleets Office. If you are interested I could e-mail them to you. If you would like this then please PM me with your e-mail address and I will send them to you.

Pete