British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-09, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, it cannot be said that all die struck osd badges are later examples. We are going way off track here with this notion which has no basis in fact. Just like the milk chocolate brown finish is often associated with very early osd, very dark burnt umber colored examples also date from this period.
It does seem to be the case with the most modern examples though, such as the Royal Hampshire that was apparently used up until 1992.

CB
There ia no 'apparently' required. I can confirm that the Bn Officers were wearing OSD R Hants badges then. They were wearing them in their berets as they had rejected the embroidered versions because they were too easily confused with the RCT Officers badges!

Alan
Old 31-03-09, 08:41 AM
Former Member

For KLR,
Julian,

what is your reference for:"SD badges were made obsolete in 1947"? Was this just for KLR? As I'm sure there are quite a few exceptions! RWF, R Arty, Suffolk Regt, (R Hants - above), etc!

Andy
Old 31-03-09, 01:36 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default die-struck/cast bronze

Hi folks,

It is apparent that opinions/preferences rather than certainties are being offered on this subject, thankfully, we do have opinions instead of us all being stereotyped.

As far as my badges are concerned and once again, after talking to Malcolm, apart from a couple that I know to be " copies ", I will just wait for a better examples to turn up and replace any that are thought to be suspect.

Malcolm did raise a really significant point while we were talking, he said and has said in the past, that in no way is he an expert on bronze badges, each time he comments on a badge it is in his own personal opinion, his bronze badges, in the main, are the best examples he has been able to find, yes, he has a lot of experience but he keeps reminding me that he is not an ' expert '.

I pressed the point with him, because of all the advice I have received from him, about the varying quality of not only OSD badges but most others, he makes the same point that has been made by other members, quality shows.

He has told me on several occasions, not to touch a badge but he has gone on to tell me why, always, the reason is in his opinion and from his preference or point of view but he then leaves it up to me to make the final decision.

So, from my point of view and because I always have in the past, I take Malcolm's advice which in this case is not to bin any ' willy-nilly ' but to wait and replace, as and when !!

To answer mgc's question, the majority of my die-struck badges are quite strong, the worst example is my Finsbury which is like cardboard but we all know that is definitely a fake......................

One last question, aimed at anyone, I'm showing my Loyal North Lancashire, you will see that the crown is a seperate part of the badge and is overlaid onto a backing plate............................although die-struck, isn't this a lot of work to be undertaken by a faker ???

I'm going off-air to change my processor, I hope I'm clever enough to get back on the forum. all the best gents.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3860.jpg (82.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3861.jpg (64.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3862.jpg (48.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 31-03-09, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

May I suggest that the separate crown is there because on an ORs badge the crown is in brass so a 2 part die is needed. Either the maker has used OR dies (hence the die stamped rather than die cast construction) or someone else has got hold of them and made more valuable badges.

Alan
Old 31-03-09, 05:14 PM

That Loyals badge is one of the poorer quality examples of an OSD I have ever seen, but it is hard to believe it is a fake.
I have a couple of "normal" badges that are without doubt genuine, but again leave something to be desired quality wise.
I do think that it is a candidate for replacement should a nicer one come around though.

CB
Old 01-04-09, 08:57 AM

Dave
Had lower badge over 15 years and dismissed it as fake. However a sight of your Loyals OSD is making me think again. Construction is the same as ORs top badge but both pieces struck in rose copper/bronze. The stiking of the crown is first class whereas the rose and ribbon are slightly off. Both are fitted with lugs although close examination of 'OSD' badge indicates it may have had blades originaly. Off hand I do not know how many battalions the Loyals had in WW1 but are these badges a cheaply manufactured WW1 product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1302.jpg (80.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1303.jpg (75.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1304.jpg (39.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-04-09, 06:15 PM

Well, I for one dont really know what to make of that badge. It seems almost identical to Dave's but for the lugs. Either both are fakes or they were turning out bronzed OR's badges for the regiment;to what purpose who can tell?

CB
Old 11-04-09, 02:54 PM

I would be most interested to hear anyone`s comments on the attached badge which has 3 lug fittings and is marked Ludlow London.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LL1.jpg (55.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg LL2.jpg (65.5 KB, 10 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-04-09, 04:47 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Lugged OSD

Hello Peter,

I will probably get shot down but I would say, not knowing the dimensions of this one, that it is a collar badge............................................. ..........

My cap badge is 43mm deep and 46mm wide over the scroll, both approximate measurements and my collar badges are 39mm deep and about 40mm wide, hope this helps.

I wouldn't kick it out of my collection, anyway.

Regards.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4147.jpg (46.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4148.jpg (46.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-04-09, 05:41 PM

Dave ,
The badge is about the same size as your cap badge and larger than all the badges I have which I know are regular/militia bn. collars.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collars.jpg (81.4 KB, 9 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-04-09, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Dave ,
The badge is about the same size as your cap badge and larger than all the badges I have which I know are regular/militia bn. collars.

P.B.
P.B,

If I remember correctly when OSD badges were introduced initially they were the same size as the cap badge for a few years, the only difference was the fixing. Cap badges had blades whereas collars had loops.

Luke
Old 11-04-09, 07:12 PM

Luke,

Yes,but this is the post 1926 pattern of Kings badge and I never seen an example of this badge facing the other way.

P.B.

Old 11-04-09, 07:35 PM

Fairly uncommon but OSD cap badges do exist with loops.
I have a very similar Ludlow one but with blades.
I think it is just a variation - or, as someone pointed out, perhaps the buyer wanted it that way - for wear on a beret perhaps !?