British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-19, 06:27 AM

Default Trade Patch RNZAF Wireless Technician WW2

The photo attached is a genuine WW2 RNZAF Wireless Technician trade patch. It has a blue clenched fist and blue lightning bolts on a black oblong background of felt. Possibly the same as RAF Wireless Techs and others from the Commonwealth. Royal Signals had a similar design but did not have the same all blue colour. These attachments came today from a friend who's father served in the Pacific Islands in WW2 with the Royal New Zealand Air Force. He was a Wireless Technician or what today is known as a Radio Technician, and after initial training at Wigram and Harewood RNZAF bases in New Zealand as a wireless technician was sent overseas to the Pool Camp on Espiritu Santo New Hebrides (Vanuatu) and then posted to Torokina Airfield on Bougainville and later to Los Negros in the Admiralty Islands until the war ended, then returned to New Zealand where he finished his RNZAF service in October 1945, with his last posting at the Quartz Hill Radio Station in Wellington NZ. I suspect the patch was only worn in New Zealand on service dress rather than on tropical khaki in the tropics. It would be interesting to see what other Commonwealth Air Force patches were used.
Quicksilver

Last edited by Quicksilver; 29-05-19 at 06:36 AM.
Old 29-05-19, 10:13 PM

RNZAF details of badge use.

September 1941 the Wireless Operators’ was worn by Wireless operators, Wireless mechanics and Radio mechanics.
In July 1943 those who could wear the Wireless Operators’ badge was extended to cover Airmen and Airwomen qualified in wireless operator; wireless mechanic; R.D.F. operator; R.D.F. mechanic (air and ground) and wireless operator/air gunner.
The stores numbers for the badges are
Blue/grey - 22H 139
Khaki and red 22H....
Barry
Old 30-05-19, 07:44 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Quicksilver,

From my research at the Royal Australian Corps of Signals museum at Simpson Barracks at Watsonia I have not come across this badge being used by Aussie Sigs and my father, a sig with the New Guinea Air Warning Wireless in New Guinea from 1942 to 1945 did not wear this badge, I have his battle dress, slouch hat and a number of other small badges but there is no wireless related trade badges.

Regards Phil.
Old 30-05-19, 07:57 AM

Slightly off topic, has anyone got a picture of the WW2 NZ Army Qualified Wireless Operator trade patch that they can share, can't seem to find it in my Patch book.
Its the one with a pair of wings pointing down to the ground with a split lightning bolt thru the middle.

Brent
Old 30-05-19, 11:47 AM

Attached is a pic of the RAAF wireless and radio badges.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Australian Wireless Trade badges.jpg (31.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-06-19, 09:29 PM

The NZ Army Qualified Wireless Operator trade patch would look like this.
This picture was taken in August 1940, it is part of a NZ Army Department stores board.

Old 10-06-19, 10:40 AM

Default NZ Qualified Wireless Operator badge

Brent,
Attached is the photograph you are seeking for your patch book. I know you have seen the details of the patch on page 38 of Part One of NZ Distinguishing Patches 1911-1991, but most wont have. It states:
G.O. 6/1935
Regulations for the N.Z. Military Forces, 1927
Amendments No. 41
Appendix X, Efficiency and Skill-at-Arms Badges: At end of section headed
"Signallers" add-
"Winged orb on forked lightning. Qualified wireless Operators, NZ Corps of Signals."
Rgds
Cliff Lord aka Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img486.jpg (64.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-06-19, 08:21 AM

Cliff, Ill be honest, I completely overlooked page 38
The picture is exactly what I was looking for.
Is it from your collection?
Cheers
Brent
Old 11-06-19, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon166 View Post
Attached is a pic of the RAAF wireless and radio badges.
Dave
Out of curiosity, is the bottom badge not 3rd Class Wireless Operator, Australian Corps of Signals, 1926-1942?

Keith
Old 12-06-19, 12:17 AM

Hi Brent,

It was in my collection and was worn in the 1930s by the original owner.

Rgds

Cliff
Old 12-06-19, 12:22 AM

Hi Keith,

Yes it is Australian. Not sure if 3rd or 4th class. I used to have quite a few of them in different metals: white metal, brass, bronze and copper if I recall correctly. It has been some time since I collected world wide signal badges and insignia.

I don't know the origin of the design but I note the Royal Navy had something similar and perhaps that is where it stemmed from. As a total aside Jordan has signal collars of a similar design and UAE and ADDF has a cloth patch for their signal corps with the design on a white over blue diamond shape. Both having had British input in the early days.

Brgds

Cliff