British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Books by Forum Members


Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-14, 11:25 AM
Phil2M's Avatar
Phil2M Phil2M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 5,641
Default Extruded Sliders

So called extruded sliders, i am going to upset a few people now.........in my oponion, the metal was extruded but the slider was merely cut off and bent over (which is not extrusion), by the badge maker. Its a slider made from extruded metal not an 'extruded slider', surely????

So rather than simply "extruded slider" it should be "extruded metal, slider"

Splitting hairs maybe but, hey, im in that kind of mood today.

Phil
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-14, 11:43 AM
2747andy 2747andy is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Porthcawl, South Wales
Posts: 7,688
Default

Not biting!

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-14, 12:30 PM
54Bty's Avatar
54Bty 54Bty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London, England
Posts: 5,353
Default

Not a clue what you are on about, a slider is a slider, unless it is a shank.

Marc
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-14, 12:40 PM
gb64's Avatar
gb64 gb64 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
So called extruded sliders, i am going to upset a few people now.........in my oponion, the metal was extruded but the slider was merely cut off and bent over (which is not extrusion), by the badge maker. Its a slider made from extruded metal not an 'extruded slider', surely????

So rather than simply "extruded slider" it should be "extruded metal, slider"

Splitting hairs maybe but, hey, im in that kind of mood today.

Phil
That's lost me completely (no that difficult I know)
I just thought it referred to the longer length of slider say for a pagri badge or to the sometimes found slider that sticks out from the badge at its point of connection more than the norm??:am I of track

Gerard
__________________
Always interested in buying cap badges to the Middlesex Regt-Hertfordshire Regt-The Rifle Brigade
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-14, 12:53 PM
LONGSHANKS's Avatar
LONGSHANKS LONGSHANKS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GREAT BRITAIN
Posts: 3,729
Default

Hi Gerard, an extruded slider is a reference to the method that the slider shank itself was manufactured by. As opposed to a stamped slider which is then bent over the top (resulting some the crimp), and then brazed to the badge.
An extruded one is one that slider is cut from an extruded flat long length of rod. Cut to the required length, and then bent over, again resulting in the crimp.

Here is an example, and as you can see the rounding of the end is hand done on a grinder roughly and not symmetrical, then bent and applied. Mostly seen I think on cheaper badges or econ's in this case. As I imagine it was cheaper than stamping maybe.

The other clue as you can see, are the feighnt lines the length of the slider shank, which was due to an imperfection in the extrusion die.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=79653

Regards

Simon.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-14, 12:56 PM
davec2's Avatar
davec2 davec2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tamworth, Staffs.
Posts: 3,520
Default

Phil is referring to a type of brass strip some times used for making sliders ( also known as shanks ) which are a fixing medium for cap badges in general.

Some times the sliders ( shanks ) are cut and bent from a strip of extruded brass strip and a lot of people, myself included call them extruded sliders, the other usual method for making sliders ( shanks ) is to stamp them out of brass sheet.

You are not splitting hairs Phil, I believe the correct terminology might be splitting infinitives but at the end of the day we all say what we are comfortable with and saying " extruded sliders " is a lot easier than " sliders cut and bent from a length extruded brass strip ", know what I mean lol ???

I think to 99.9% of people they are just sliders ?? to expand the discussion, is it lugs or loops ???

Dave.
__________________
A man is only as tall as the sum of his deeds !
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-14, 12:58 PM
2747andy 2747andy is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Porthcawl, South Wales
Posts: 7,688
Default

Simon,
pipped me to the post, see here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=14733

I use the term when referring to this type of slider, and will continue to do so despite any pedantic observation.



Andy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-14, 01:00 PM
LONGSHANKS's Avatar
LONGSHANKS LONGSHANKS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GREAT BRITAIN
Posts: 3,729
Default

Sorry Andy...... I thought you would in the end as we have discussed this feature a few time in the past.

Cheers

Simon.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-14, 01:21 PM
gb64's Avatar
gb64 gb64 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Phil is referring to a type of brass strip some times used for making sliders ( also known as shanks ) which are a fixing medium for cap badges in general.

Some times the sliders ( shanks ) are cut and bent from a strip of extruded brass strip and a lot of people, myself included call them extruded sliders, the other usual method for making sliders ( shanks ) is to stamp them out of brass sheet.

You are not splitting hairs Phil, I believe the correct terminology might be splitting infinitives but at the end of the day we all say what we are comfortable with and saying " extruded sliders " is a lot easier than " sliders cut and bent from a length extruded brass strip ", know what I mean lol ???

I think to 99.9% of people they are just sliders ?? to expand the discussion, is it lugs or loops ???

Dave.
Thanks Simon I've got it now I was off track a little so thanks something else to store in the old memory bank! Extruded slider seems a good term used and understood so Phil don't change it as I'll have to learn more stuff

Gerard
__________________
Always interested in buying cap badges to the Middlesex Regt-Hertfordshire Regt-The Rifle Brigade
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-14, 01:23 PM
LONGSHANKS's Avatar
LONGSHANKS LONGSHANKS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GREAT BRITAIN
Posts: 3,729
Default

My pleasure Gerard. Also, for me anyway; it's a good sign along with other positive features as a good badge. I haven't seen them on fakes. I may be wrong though, if someone has an example.

Simon
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29-03-19, 08:33 PM
graham's Avatar
graham graham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Simon,
pipped me to the post, see here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=14733

I use the term when referring to this type of slider, and will continue to do so despite any pedantic observation.



Andy
Why is it when I click on this link [and occasionally others] it says I do not have permission to access that page ?

Graham.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29-03-19, 08:36 PM
Jelly Terror's Avatar
Jelly Terror Jelly Terror is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Why is it when I click on this link [and occasionally others] it says I do not have permission to access that page ?

Graham.
Because the person to whom the images in the album belong is no longer a member. For some reason this means their album(s) are not accessible.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=69167
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-04-19, 05:35 PM
graham's Avatar
graham graham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Because the person to whom the images in the album belong is no longer a member. For some reason this means their album(s) are not accessible.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=69167
I see. Thank you.

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14-04-19, 04:02 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,046
Default

I always tend to associate them with Great War period pieces, although, they continue beyond.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
My pleasure Gerard. Also, for me anyway; it's a good sign along with other positive features as a good badge. I haven't seen them on fakes. I may be wrong though, if someone has an example.

Simon
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14-04-19, 07:12 PM
mike c's Avatar
mike c mike c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 287
Default Link

I was just going to say that Graham I was wondering why I didn't have permission
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.