British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-11, 08:11 AM

Default WW2 Scottish Command formation badges

Dear all,

I'd like to know if the formation badges to the Scottish Command (Troops and HQ versions) during WW2 were facing pairs or not. So far, all the ones have seen are not (both Lions are facing left) but confusion has come when I saw a WW2 facing pair on the IWM website. Were there 2 versions worn during the war? What about it?

Cheers
Phil
Old 15-08-11, 11:21 AM

Default Scottish Command

I'll probably be corrected, but I believe that it is a rule of heraldry that the lion rampant always faces to the left. This rule was adhered to for the vast majority of formation signs, but the occasional so-called manufacturers' error slipped through - facing pairs being produced. I have eight Scottish Comd HQ and Troops signs - seven face left and one - Scottish Comd Tps EonF -faces right. I believe that the sign of 105 Coast Bde was manufactured and worn in facing pairs - in breach of the rule.
Old 15-08-11, 04:41 PM

Thank you very much Mike, I'll then be able to buy the pairs I've seen without worrying about them.
All the best
Phil
Old 15-08-11, 05:08 PM

The same heraldic rule applies to the formation signs of Lowland District, Highland District, North Highland District, West Scotland District and East Scotland District. The examples of all these in my collection face left. When my father served as Dental Officer at the Highland Brigade Depot, Fort George, Inverness in 1946/47 he wore the Scottish Comd Tps sign - photos show that both faced to the left. So the abberant right facing lion is a relative rarity.
Old 19-09-14, 12:05 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I recently picked up a right-facing rampant lion Scottish Command formation sign/badge, and it appears to be old, maybe WWII vintage. I have one of each now - the common facing-left and now a facing-right version. Why would there be a "facing pair" anyway? Would one have been worn on each sleeve at the same time?