British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-12, 07:29 PM
Banned

Default RCAF / Canadian Army?

I was sent this photo some time back and wondered what others made of it. The bloke in the foreground seems to be a member of the RCAF, with LAC prop on his sleeve, and RCAF badge in his beret. As its darker I'd assume a blue/grey beret and khaki battledress.

He has what seems to be a standard RCAF 'Canada' title on his upper sleeve, but a Canadian Army formation patch just below. But best of all, a 'half wing' on the lower left sleeve of the same pattern as the Army Flying Wing.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0001.jpg (80.5 KB, 160 views)
Old 06-01-12, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Very interesting. The formation patch appears to be either 1 Canadian Armoured Brigade or 2 Canadian Armoured Brigade. The half wing is very unusual.
Old 06-01-12, 08:42 PM
Banned

Bill, see also the Brit Special Forces Section, where its posted as 'An Odd Mixture of Insignia'.
Old 07-01-12, 03:54 AM

No shirt and tie? I would suggest that this is bling added to his uniform in order to attract ladies and it seems to have worked!
Old 07-01-12, 03:56 AM

The half wing looks like those wore by Army Air Corps door gunners. David
Old 09-01-12, 05:26 PM

I've heard first hand accounts of soldiers who transfered into the RCAF from the Army being permitted to retain regimental items of dress. Maybe he is a transferree?
Old 09-01-12, 10:09 PM

Default Army Transferring to the RCAF

Please, show me a document or a photograph that proves a soldier transferring to the RCAF can keep and wear regimental items while serving in the RCAF.

More than likely the lucky fellow in this photograph is a member of the RCAF who is attached to an Army formation and has been issued BD. For field service, the RAF/RCAF could and were issued BD and other 'Army' field kit. This also happened with the RN/RCN.
Old 10-01-12, 04:54 AM

As far as I'm aware the RCAF were never issued a beret during the war so the beret is likely a standard khaki color. An unusual mixture of insignia/uniform items for sure. I would have to concur that that wearing of army regimental insignia by someone who transferred into the RCAF would be highly unlikely.
Old 10-01-12, 06:21 AM

Default 430 Sqn RCAF

I'm out of my depth here, but when looking for evidence of Canadian Ground Liaison Sections I came across the mention of ".... presented with the Operational Wings badge for completing a tour with No 430." It's in one of the closing paragraphs of the history of 430 Sqn RCAF at:

http://www.manitobamilitaryaviationm...30squadron.pdf

Could the half wing in the photograph be an improvised non-aircrew variant on the Operational Wings badge (whatever that might have been)?
Old 10-01-12, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post

Could the half wing in the photograph be an improvised non-aircrew variant on the Operational Wings badge (whatever that might have been)?
No, totally different badge. The Operations wing is a small brass (gilt) badge worn on the left breast pocket.
The wing in the photo looks like British glider pilot wings except there is only one wing instead of two. I'm not overly familiar with British wings but it sure looks British to me.

Last edited by Infanteer; 10-01-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
No, totally different badge. The Operations wing is a small brass badge worn on the left breast pocket.
The wing in the photo looks like British glider pilot wings except there is only one wing instead of two. I'm not overly familiar with British wings but it sure looks British to me.
Your para 2 - agreed absolutely - the (British) Army Flying Badge as worn by First Glider Pilots with one wing amputated to make it resemble an RAF Aircrew brevet.
Old 10-01-12, 01:05 PM
Banned

Yes, as Infanteer says above, the Ops wing is a small badge worn on the pocket, about an inch wide, showing a double winged 'O'. Made of silver with a gilt wash, it has bars underneath for completing successive tours, up to four.

Ive never seen a half wing of the type shown in the photo, but as its so close to the British Army Flying Wing can only assume its a cut down one, possibly authorised at local level, or not authorised at all!
Old 11-01-12, 03:12 PM
Banned

Have since been told the gent is ''A Samualson in Holland. He is not wearing a wedge but wearing full khaki. If you will notice the LAC prop on his sleeve which was in red as he was a RCAF member seconded to the army and an observer with the rare wing on his sleeve...''

Personally I disagree with the wing being a red one (red on tan), it clearly seems to be a pale blue on dark blue one.
Old 11-01-12, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hi SAS1, Clarification please. "He is not wearing a wedge but wearing full khaki." What is meant by "a wedge"? Headdress?
I fully agree the LAC prop is NOT red on khaki. They were only authorized for khaki drill uniforms, and the khaki drill uniform was not worn in NW Europe.
I am in agreement with Ed, the fellow is most likely part of an air support / co-operation group that was operating with either 1 CAB or 2 CAB.
Further it is odd that there is no record of the "observer wing" in any reference. Even if it was a rare wing, there would be some official trail. This must be some unauthorized creation.
Old 12-01-12, 01:14 AM
Banned

Hi Bill

Yes the Wedge is what Canadians often call the side cap, or field service cap.