British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-19, 07:59 PM

Default Infantry junior Leaders Battalion

Does anybody know when the Infantry Junior Leaders Battalion cap badge K&K 2165 in gold anodised was last worn?

Also what (if any) collar badges were worn on No2 Dress during training?

The photo shows Junior RSM M BRISTOW Royal Anglian. He is wearing the IJL cap badge and probably Royal Anglian collar badges.

Tim

PS the QC anodised version also exists with 2 lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JNR LDRS (1).jpg (92.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2943.JPG (32.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 19-04-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 14-04-19, 08:02 PM

Still seeking information on date the cap badge was last worn as the JIB at Shorncliffe existed until the early 1990s.

It seems likely that junior leaders wore the collar badges on No2 Dress of the Regiment they would join on passing out.

Tim
Old 14-04-19, 09:34 PM

I was instructing there in Corunna Company in 1982-84 and everyone wore regimental badges.

When one of my Cpls as posted back to 2RGJ we gave hime a plaque of Light and Scottish Division badges and tried to find an old IJLB badge to place in the centre which took quite a search in the stores.
Old 15-04-19, 06:59 AM

Can take the date back a few years to 1980 when I joined Waterloo Company. all Recruits wore their own Regimental pattern badges and distinctions.

Simon.
Old 15-04-19, 12:56 PM

I passed out there in 1974, we were still wearing the Junior Infantry cap badge but with regimental collar badges. Buttons were more interesting, with some wearing regimental buttons, but many still had the old Brigade buttons because they had to be ‘wasted out’ before the Ordnance would contract for the return of regimental patterns. From memory, I recall that some of the newer amalgamated regiments had not yet had a regimental button design approved.
There was still an outstation to JIB at Canterbury although it was scheduled to close, with the residue moving to Shorncliffe by the end of 1976. My theory is that regimental cap badges commenced in 1976.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 18-04-19 at 09:12 AM.
Old 15-04-19, 02:18 PM

Thanks to all for your help and 1976 looks like an end date.
I was using the Sir John Moore Barracks Dental Centre at Shorncliffe in the late 1980s and early 1990s while the IJLB was still in residence. All the camp signage still featured the lion on crown above crossed swords design but I do not recall seeing the cap badge being worn.
There are pictures on the Internet but only a few show headdress and many are undated.

Tim
Old 18-04-19, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Thanks to all for your help and 1976 looks like an end date.
I was using the Sir John Moore Barracks Dental Centre at Shorncliffe in the late 1980s and early 1990s while the IJLB was still in residence. All the camp signage still featured the lion on crown above crossed swords design but I do not recall seeing the cap badge being worn.
There are pictures on the Internet but only a few show headdress and many are undated.

Tim
Hello Tim,

I was at IJLB in Peninsula company from September 1976 until I passed out in August 1977.
The standard army emblem swords and crowned lion cap badge,with regimental collar dogs is what we wore until after the passing out parade. All the infantry regiments including Scottish & Irish wore standard N02 dress uniform,and a navy blue hat with a thin red line.The only way of differentiating between units was the collar badges.
Cheers.
Al
Old 19-04-19, 04:39 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but a Kings crown metal version of the badge is on e~~~ but is titled as THE SPECIAL TRAINING BATTALION 1944-1945 CAP BADGE IN BRASS ON LUGS KINGS CROWN ???
What was this unit please?

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 19-04-19, 06:02 PM

Jerry,
I believe the KC version was worn during WW2 in Infantry Primary Training Centres (of which there were many) by recruits under training prior to being allocated to a Regiment.

Tim
Old 20-04-19, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadeagle View Post
Hello Tim,

I was at IJLB in Peninsula company from September 1976 until I passed out in August 1977.
The standard army emblem swords and crowned lion cap badge,with regimental collar dogs is what we wore until after the passing out parade. All the infantry regiments including Scottish & Irish wore standard N02 dress uniform,and a navy blue hat with a thin red line.The only way of differentiating between units was the collar badges.
Cheers.
Al
That’s good to know Al, like the original poster I’d like to learn when the badge ceased being used and we’re into the later 70s now. What you’ve described as dress seems the same as it was for me between 1972-74 and my older brother 1963-65. Hopefully someone will post who actually experienced the change.
Old 20-04-19, 04:41 PM

Hiya guys,

I am a little bit late here, but my late brother David (actually Sidney) was in the RGJ's at JLR (Rhyl) in 1968 and I have an image of him in drab combats, wearing the RGJ cap badge.

Bare with me for a little while whilst I dig it out (the image)

Ken (The Fatboy)

Sorry for the delay but it took along time to find the image, as it was in an album called "pictures"

David3.jpg

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 20-04-19 at 06:28 PM.
Old 20-04-19, 09:28 PM

Nice picture Ken. It looks like your brother is wearing the old green denim jacket and trousers. I was issued these also when I joined Junior Leaders Regiment RE at Dover in 1969. They were a form of working dress.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-04-19, 12:00 PM

It’s interesting to see that Rhyl, followed a different policy to Oswestry and Shorncliffe.
Although issued woollen battle dress “for when attending education” (which we never actually wore), we did not have the green denim battle dress. Instead I recall very clearly that we wore “jackets overall” and “trousers overall”, made of green cotton drill. The jackets were unusual in that they had a skirt with flapped pockets, but no external chest pockets. They were worn for drill with shirts (detachable collars), ties and peaked blue forage caps with red welts, and with berets and jumpers underneath for other parades.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 22-04-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 22-04-19, 12:20 PM

A postcard I have had sometime showing the Permanent Staff Instructors wearing Regimental Badges and distinctions and the Junior Recruits wearing the Junior Leaders badge in what appears to be a standard colour beret and some form of battledress.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0001 (9).jpg (66.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 22-04-19, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
It’s interesting to see that Rhyll, followed a different policy to Oswestry and Shorncliffe.
Although issued woollen battle dress “for when attending education” (which we never actually wore), we did not have the green denim battle dress. Instead I recall very clearly that we wore “jackets overall” and “trousers overall”, made of green cotton drill. The jackets were unusual in that they had a skirt with flapped pockets, but no external chest pockets. They were worn for drill with shirts (detachable collars), ties and peaked blue forage caps with red welts, and with berets and jumpers underneath for other parades.
Jackets Overall and Trousers Overall were the replacement for battle dress 'denims' and were introduced in the early 1960s to coincide with the issue of Number 2 Dress, hence the skirt with flapped pockets. Never popular, the jackets were discontinued in the early 1970s but the trousers lived on as working dress worn alongside trousers OG (Olive Green) until replaced by 'Trousers Lightweight'.

Tim