British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-15, 04:50 AM

Default KOCR Band cap

Picked up this nice cap today named to a bandsman to the kings own calgary regiment. It will be a nice addition to my calgary collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-05-15, 04:51 AM

RCAC buttons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-05-15, 04:52 AM

Naming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-05-15, 03:29 PM

Interesting fact, the KO Calg R band dressed as infantry until unification. They didn't adopt armoured or cavalry dress until well after 1968.
Old 05-05-15, 02:52 AM

KOCR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e010776936-v8a.jpg (43.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-05-15, 08:58 PM

Presentation of Drum Major sash by LCol McIntosh to DM WOII Lovo 23 Apr 61.

Note the Drum Major's red stripe on his trousers, white lacing on the tunic, and the knot work on the cuff, not visible on the DM's tunic was the simple Austrian knot, or crow's foot. The Director of Music also carried an Infantry pattern sword. I have pictures of the band, c1940-43 wearing almost the same uniform, with infantry sashes, and black berets. The Officer is in patrol dress, standard for Snr NCOs, WO, and officers.
Old 06-05-15, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
Presentation of Drum Major sash by LCol McIntosh to DM WOII Lovo 23 Apr 61.

Note the Drum Major's red stripe on his trousers, white lacing on the tunic, and the knot work on the cuff, not visible on the DM's tunic was the simple Austrian knot, or crow's foot. The Director of Music also carried an Infantry pattern sword. I have pictures of the band, c1940-43 wearing almost the same uniform, with infantry sashes, and black berets. The Officer is in patrol dress, standard for Snr NCOs, WO, and officers.
Very interesting. In 1940 they were of course still an infantry (Tank) regiment. I take it that is a scarlet tunic in 1961. Is that deliberate, or only because they were poor and they were able to obtain "free" tunics through "the system" rather than having to purchase ceremonial? I remember the band wearing the God-awful issue CF band uniform in the 1980s, IIRC, and presume it was due to lack of funds?
Old 06-05-15, 10:27 PM

"Very interesting. In 1940 they were of course still an infantry (Tank) regiment. I take it that is a scarlet tunic in 1961. Is that deliberate, or only because they were poor and they were able to obtain "free" tunics through "the system" rather than having to purchase ceremonial? I remember the band wearing the God-awful issue CF band uniform in the 1980s, IIRC, and presume it was due to lack of funds?"

Yes, scarlet. I just pulled their scarlet tunics out of band storage for the museum. Interesting enough also RCAC silver buttons, not regimental brass ones. I am honestly not sure if it was an attempt to maintain a link to their past and their infantry heritage, or $$$$. Maybe both?
The truely awful CF band uniform was for a time the only authorized band uniform for the CF/CAF. And then originally only for men, women were not allowed the modified uniform until the early 1980s.It lasted longer in some militia units than others.