British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-14, 09:45 AM

Default "F.F. Commando" title ...

Hello,

In an other thread, Mike présents a beautiful "FF commando" printed shoulder title...

As far as I remember, I have never seen any picture showing such title décorating the shoulder of free french soldiers.

"Commando", serif style white on black/dark blue ... ok
"No10 commando", red on black/dark blue ... ok
"No4 commando", red on black/dark blue ... ok

Could it be possible that FF means someting like ... Frontier Force ???

Best regards .. Herve
Old 17-11-14, 11:47 AM

Hello Herve et al

The FF is said to mean 'Fighting French' rather than 'Free French' - my brother and I recall our father using this term too, but others - including you Herve - may know more about this differentiation. The pattern of PRINTED Shoulder Title formed part of an order for commando units of the Special Service Brigade dated 8 June 1942 - so definitely intended for 'Free French' or 'Fighting French' Commandos. I don't believe the titles were ever issued, though they certainly exist as per the Special Service Brigade order, and the example I have illustrated (below).

It is likely that at the time of the order (8 June 1942) the designation for the French volunteers who had passed though Achncarry CBTC (in March 1942) may have been uncertain - It was not until July 1942 that they formed No1 Troop of No10 (Inter-Allied) Commando. As you know, they had several designations before then.

I apologise for the way in which this title has been displayed - on a white backing in a green lined frame

Regards

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJB - Inventory F - Printed Title Frame - P1080081.jpg (56.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 17-11-14, 05:59 PM

Hello Mike,

Your message is interesting because if they have really been ordered, there is no original pictures showing them on a french shoulder ...
It appears that even the veterans didn't know their existence.

Politically speaking, "Free France" is renamed "Fighting France" on july 13th, 1942, to increase the legitimacy of Ch de Gaulle : Fighting France = Free France + Interior Resistance.
But in practice the armed forces outside France kept their usual name of "Free French forces".

Best regards .. Herve

PS: Mike, please find a printed title for me, really a curiosity ...
Old 17-11-14, 07:32 PM

Hello Herve et al

Thanks for the clarification of 'Free French' and 'Fighting French' - I knew you would be the man to explain this difference in terminology.

I agree there is no evidence of this title ever being worn, but - Yes - it certainly did form part of the Special Service Brigade order of 8 June 1942. I totally accept that veterans did not know the insignia ever existed - I do not believe it was ever issued. But exist it did, and I am extremely lucky to have one (and a genuine one at that) - ex Len Whittaker collection. Len was 'THE' Commando expert - he is sadly missed, and taught us a great deal - his sources were absolutely exceptional. His expertise on Commandos - like his book on Special Forces - was ground breaking.

Regards

Mike