British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-08, 06:14 AM

Default Cape Mounted or Rural Police Officer belt?

DSCF0553a.jpgDSCF0556a.jpg

DSCF0555a.jpgDSCF0560a.jpg

I recently purchased this item on ebay. The seller obtained it from an old lady in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Any comments will be welcomed.
Old 01-11-08, 11:32 AM

Smile Crossbelt

This is an interesting item, made by Holt of London, I think it is a Norfolk Yeomanry crossbelt, the badge is EviiR and I would think it was possibly taken to South Africa by a person who had served in this unit.

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 01-11-08 at 11:32 AM. Reason: extra space
Old 01-11-08, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply and interest. In Colin R. Owen's definitive work - "The Military Badges and Insignia of Southern Africa", he lists the same badge as seen on the pouch but in White Metal. He describes it as " Cape Rural Police, white metal pouch badge worn 1902 - 1913", it appears as no 1814 in the book. The source of the item also purchased a South African Police cap with the early 1913 to 1926 badge on it from the same person he bought the belt from. Apparently, the previous owner was a very early member of the South African Police on its formation in April, 1913.
Old 01-11-08, 07:38 PM

Default Crossbelt

Well, there's a good chance the man emigrated to South Africa pre 1913 and joined the S.A police when it was formed. This is pure supposition without a name to put to the items. Very often a persons service history can be seen purely by the artefacts that are left behind when they pass on. I always try to put a name to badges if possible, but this is a very rare occurrence as dealers/sellers are not generally interested.

I expect that this item was a private purchase, hence it being taken abroad by the owner.
Old 02-11-08, 04:18 AM

I agree, it is very difficult to confirm or attribute some items, specifically badges. Sellers will also not usually disclose their sources so that more possible detail can be gleaned or requested as to the history or names of the previous owners. Thanks for the reply and interest.
Old 26-11-11, 02:12 PM

Hi William, did you ever get to the bottom of this and be able to positively ID it? Regards Andrew
Old 17-01-12, 07:16 PM

Default RAMC officers full dress pouch and belt

Hi William,
This is the pattern of pouch and belt as worn by Royal Army Medical Corps officers. This was worn from Victorian period through George V. Only difference between the periods been the pouch badge. This one as worn during reign of Edward VII. See pictures of others belts and pouches.

The regulars with gilt badge and braid, and volunteers with silver badge and braid.

Hope this solves the mystery.
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1d6b_1.jpg (12.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg b0c9_1.jpg (15.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ramcbelt1.jpg (65.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ramcbelt4.jpg (61.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FIL14137.JPG (36.0 KB, 11 views)