British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-18, 09:10 PM

Titles in anodised exist for the Lancs Fusiliers and the Warwicks. Ive never come across or seen any reference to the RF or RNF ever having had an anodised title. So presumably they would have retained their older metal titles.
Old 20-07-18, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
There are anodised collars to the RF. I was told that they were to a TA btn,6th and 7th i recall. Very small gold anodised with a silver rose ,very scarce. But more than one batch was made as ive seen examples with the older "D" lug and newer "U" lug.
All the regimental collars would have been TA or pre brigade. The Fusilers all wore the same cap and collar badges as that are worn today . Hackles were to battalion pattern.
The RWarwicks arm badge,ive seen an image with showing Bobby with 2 handlers. The arm badge is clearly the collar facing left in anodised on a dark square(black or blue).
I know it's only a typo - hackles were of regimental pattern during the brigade era, the RNF's red.over white being adopted by the newly formed RRF in 1968 when the 1st Bns of the four old regiments became 1st - 4th Bns of RRF.
The Fus Bde also wore a common button showing the crown over St George and the dragon within a laurel wreath until 1964 when the R Warks Fus joined the Fus Bde and their antelope button was adopted by the Bde and later by RRF.
Old 21-07-18, 08:33 AM

On the subject of buttons Leigh, did they also have brigade cap buttons as i have never come across any 1st patt, the 2nd patt i have seen the R.Warwickshire type but they could be RRF . I have recently seen QC RF small aa buttons and small XX of the LF again aa . and it seems from what you and Mike are saying both collars were used as arm badge [ no set rule ? ].
Also i saw a RNF 3.2 cm x 2.9 cm title advertised described as bronze .
Old 21-07-18, 09:35 AM

I don't know if the Fus Bde button was worn on the cap.
I have one or two officers caps to regiments in other training brigades ( eg Glosters Regt with Wessex Bde badge and regimental buttons) which have had only the badge changed to the brigade pattern.
Given that the photo in "The Regiment" shows the Warwick's antelope collar badge worn on the left arm and facing to the rear I'm inclined to think that it was a case of whichever badge of the collar pair was available being worn although I may be wrong.
Old 21-07-18, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I don't know if the Fus Bde button was worn on the cap.
I have one or two officers caps to regiments in other training brigades ( eg Glosters Regt with Wessex Bde badge and regimental buttons) which have had only the badge changed to the brigade pattern.
Given that the photo in "The Regiment" shows the Warwick's antelope collar badge worn on the left arm and facing to the rear I'm inclined to think that it was a case of whichever badge of the collar pair was available being worn although I may be wrong.
That could be me Leigh,id have to check the image. It could well be that we are talking the same image and im wrong. Are we sure the Goatee wore the badge only on one arm ?

Regarding the buttons,Anodisedbob maybe able to help out
He has an extensive collection of AA buttons.
Old 21-07-18, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
That could be me Leigh,id have to check the image. It could well be that we are talking the same image and im wrong. Are we sure the Goatee wore the badge only on one arm ?

Regarding the buttons,Anodisedbob maybe able to help out
He has an extensive collection of AA buttons.
In the photo in Post no. 7 both arms are visible, it shows the badge being worn only on the left arm (looks like it's facing the rear?) and now I look at it on the big screen I'm wondering if the backing is scarlet.
As I recall only the left arm is visible in the photo from c1970 in "The Regiment".
Unfortunately in Gibralter back in '73 I never bothered to have a close look at Bobby and his handlers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobby the BB 001.jpg (57.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 21-07-18 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Image Added.
Old 21-07-18, 10:29 AM

Yes definitely facing backwards as to the color ? i think it is this facing color of blue, something i have noticed is in full dress no sign of the arm badge but have noticed a few wearing drummers badge on right arm also wearing bandsmans tunic so maybe the mascot handlers were chosen from drummers / band members .
Have messaged anodisedbob so see if he can help on buttons,

Last edited by iain; 21-07-18 at 11:08 AM.
Old 21-07-18, 12:33 PM

Not the same image as mine. The men are down on their hauches.
S
A little something to add, anodised collars exist for the RNF. I recall that there were some on e..y a few months ago. But from what ive been told there are 2 kinds,a horizontal and vertical pair. Im presuming that the horizontals are for No1 dress.
Old 21-07-18, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
Yes definitely facing backwards as to the color ? i think it is this facing color of blue, something i have noticed is in full dress no sign of the arm badge but have noticed a few wearing drummers badge on right arm also wearing bandsmans tunic so maybe the mascot handlers were chosen from drummers / band members .
Have messaged anodisedbob so see if he can help on buttons,
Yes, the handlers wore the drum on the right upper arm - as per the photo that you showed in post no. 7.
"Bobby" was housed with which ever battalion was best suited at the time depending on climate at the location, operational duties etc. When 1 RRF left Gibraltar for a garrison tour in NI in 1973 Bobby went to another battalion. In 1976 1 RRF carried out Public Duties and I was told at the time that the handlers were both from a TA battalion, they weren't uniformed as Drummers.
The drum badge hasn't always been worn by handlers since then.

Some photos and info re. Bobby:

http://www.fusiliers-association.co.uk/Bobby/Bobby.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img295 (2).jpg (88.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 21-07-18 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Edited because of innacuracy - handlers not uniformed as Drummers Public Duties 1976.
Old 23-07-18, 07:10 PM

So if the backing was a shade of blue you would be looking at something like this. on the left lower arm

Last edited by iain; 29-08-18 at 01:38 PM.