British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-18, 07:30 AM

Default No8 commando shoulder titles

Has anyone seen No8 commando titles, black lettering on blue before?
I was lucky to see an original pair belonging to a very early member of the SAS.
He also has a nice ME commando cap badge.
I didn't take pictures as it is prohibited
Regards
Jon
Old 30-03-18, 08:48 AM

Jon
Most interesting ...
I have not seen any unofficial titles to any of the Layforce Units (Nos7, 8 and 11 Cdos) - and we know the pretend Official red on black versions to these units are spurious as Layforce had disbanded before Official red on black Cdo titles were issued.

It is known that unofficial commando insignia, from mixed sources, were manufactured for most units - but to hear of a 'designation' for No.8 Cdo is indeed very, very interesting - any image of an attributed example would be most welcome as it could be a unique record - it is a shame, but understandable, that taking picture was not possible

Jon - any idea whether theatre made? If so it raises a question why it was not - " 'B' Battalion - Layforce " - as Cdo designations were supposed to have been dropped virtualy on arrival in Middle East (not that this was welcomed or fully acknowledged by units concerned)

Thanks for sharing the sighting though
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 30-03-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 30-03-18, 12:08 PM

Default No pictures at all Mike I'm afraid

Hi Mike
You no doubt understand why I wasn't in a position to grab a photo. They were a larger style title mate. Also were 2 of the small white on black commando titles on what looked like a cream gauze backing (may be incorrect in this though as there was various titles I looked at.
A lovely worn METAL unmarked slidered SAS cap badge, with a smaller misshapen slider, cloth 43 ish pattern SAS badge too.
Old 30-03-18, 12:48 PM

Hi Jon
Great information - all noted - as there is little information on Layforce etc insignia
Yes, in deed - fully understand
Mike
Old 31-03-18, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Hi Mike
You no doubt understand why I wasn't in a position to grab a photo. They were a larger style title mate. Also were 2 of the small white on black commando titles on what looked like a cream gauze backing (may be incorrect in this though as there was various titles I looked at.
A lovely worn METAL unmarked slidered SAS cap badge, with a smaller misshapen slider, cloth 43 ish pattern SAS badge too.
Hi Jon, Just a thought but as a photo is impossible, do you think you could produce a colour sketch of approximate size and type of lettering and shade of blue? Would be gold dust to those of us who are genuinely fascinated by the more obscure WW2 commando insignia. Just a thought mate?

Regards

Tony
Old 31-03-18, 12:01 PM

Default Request for drawings

Tony et al,
I spent about 45 mins looking at various items belonging to the1 man. Therefore I'd hate to mislead any collectors by a drawing made by myself where the details cannot be corroborated.
E.g. I could not tell you if it was NO8, N.O.8, No8, etc etc
I was taking more time on the SAS pieces as that's my area of interest
I had no idea that in my presence were such rarities!
I'll ask if I can obtain clarification on the exact format from the curator, and then look at doing a drawing.
Not sloping shoulders, but a WRONG example is worse than no example imo
Especially where it'd be my name associated with a pure "conjecture" remark about the existence of such badges.
I'm sure you'll understand
I'll see what I can do, but it won't be in the next few days I'm afraid
Regards
Jon
Old 31-03-18, 02:16 PM

Jon
Total agreement with your thoughts. It is best to be circumspect.
We also have to be careful about whetting the appetite of fakers as we all know.
Mike