British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-18, 06:06 AM

Default Anodised- Cause for concern?

Looking at the various on-line sales outlets and reputable auctions recently I've noticed a rise in the number of unusual anodised badges and collar dogs for sale. I've never seen so many Herts & Bedfs Yeo, or Flint Yeo etc before. There are pairs of rare collar badges, such as the Suffolk Regt, turning up that I've never seen offered for sale.

Should I be concerned that someone out there had leant how to copy anodised items or is it a market realignment and everyone is going sell, sell, sell?

Stephen.

PS- If someone can find me a pair of Royal Norfolk anodised collar badges I'll be a happy man!

PPS- even multiples of unusual items
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caernarvo...4AAOSwAP1al~sx

Last edited by badjez; 02-03-18 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Addition of link
Old 02-03-18, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hampshire....c100005.m1851

That is not a genuine badge but one made for the collectors market. As are several others which were never authorised for production.
Old 02-03-18, 08:49 AM

Many of these very rare a/a cap and collar set are being sold by steel back [J.D ] no proof but I would suspect these are his personal collection Couple of years back he sold his very impressive collar collection in my opinion was on a par with Churchill
David
Old 02-03-18, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed. But in the case of the seller linked to, when you can buy several SWB, B&H or east Yorkshire cap badges it does suggest that these are not from an individuals collection but are all the unmarked repros shown in Hagwalther's book as unofficial commissions.
Old 02-03-18, 09:28 AM

Re your link I would hope collectors have the common sense to know that if a seller has a number of the same rare unmarked slider badges for sale alarm bells should ring ,-unless they just don't care As you know these listed by you have been around since the 80's when they used to appear on a well known persons list
My comments were directed to the a/a sets being sold by J.D which I would be happy to buy ,and I know some very serious a/a collectors on this forum have bid on
David
P.S for those who don't know not all unmarked a/a badges are wrong .The early corps badges in my collection eg ROAC RASC are unmarked these were obtained when you were given them for free

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 02-03-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 09:39 AM

I wouldn’t worry about the F&D badges that came up recently, that was a complete set and looked fine. There hasn’t exactly been a plethora of them coming up over the last few years.
Old 02-03-18, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Re your link I would hope collectors have the common sense to know that if a seller has a number of the same rare unmarked slider badges for sale alarm bells should ring ,-unless they just don't care As you know these listed by you have been around since the 80's when they used to appear on a well known persons list
My comments were directed to the a/a sets being sold by J.D which I would be happy to buy ,and I know some very serious a/a collectors on this forum have bid on
David
P.S for those who don't know not all unmarked a/a badges are wrong .The early corps badges in my collection eg ROAC RASC are unmarked these were obtained when you were given them for free
David

When you say those 'listed by me' _ I think I should point out that I am not the seller listing those badges.

Alan
Old 02-03-18, 10:18 AM

I was fortunate to have my pick of an old collection of anodised badges . I took out the ones I was missing and have sold the rest. It looks as though the original collector dealer had access to Smith and Wright and there were a few sets ( up to eight) of some collars in the lot.I have absolutely no doubt that they were original period items although they are now rare.I sell on eBay as rightinthemiddle444.

I am aware of at least three collections coming onto the market recently so there are a lot of genuine items out there for sale at the moment.

I think we must all remember two points. Times are hard and many collectors need the money that some of these items can realise. Also there are a number of older collectors that may have collected these badges at the time that they were available and have recently passed away or gone into care.

It is possible to get badges made by the recognised manufacturers but they will only sell in bulk. Over the years a few dealers have done this. I will not name them here. The tooling costs for badge manufacture are very high even when you look at likely retail prices on some of the rarer badges you would have to sell a lot to even recover your costs.

fred
Old 02-03-18, 10:35 AM

Cool A/A Suffolk collars

I watched a pair of these sell for £94 on ebay this week, as a Suffolk collector I did not realise they were ever produced.

Rob
Old 02-03-18, 12:17 PM

I have purchased anodised badges from Fred and concur with him that as far as I am/he is concerned they are the real thing

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyfred View Post
I was fortunate to have my pick of an old collection of anodised badges . I took out the ones I was missing and have sold the rest. It looks as though the original collector dealer had access to Smith and Wright and there were a few sets ( up to eight) of some collars in the lot.I have absolutely no doubt that they were original period items although they are now rare.I sell on eBay as rightinthemiddle444.

I am aware of at least three collections coming onto the market recently so there are a lot of genuine items out there for sale at the moment.

I think we must all remember two points. Times are hard and many collectors need the money that some of these items can realise. Also there are a number of older collectors that may have collected these badges at the time that they were available and have recently passed away or gone into care.

It is possible to get badges made by the recognised manufacturers but they will only sell in bulk. Over the years a few dealers have done this. I will not name them here. The tooling costs for badge manufacture are very high even when you look at likely retail prices on some of the rarer badges you would have to sell a lot to even recover your costs.

fred
Old 02-03-18, 06:08 PM

Thanks Bob. Regards fred
Old 03-03-18, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Looking at the various on-line sales outlets and reputable auctions recently I've noticed a rise in the number of unusual anodised badges and collar dogs for sale. I've never seen so many Herts & Bedfs Yeo, or Flint Yeo etc before. There are pairs of rare collar badges, such as the Suffolk Regt, turning up that I've never seen offered for sale.

Should I be concerned that someone out there had leant how to copy anodised items or is it a market realignment and everyone is going sell, sell, sell?

Stephen.

PS- If someone can find me a pair of Royal Norfolk anodised collar badges I'll be a happy man!

PPS- even multiples of unusual items
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caernarvo...4AAOSwAP1al~sx

Hi Stephen,

The majority are good but some unofficial commissions and all out fakes (Suffolks if I remember - was it actually A/A?) in these cap and collar groups.

I have bid on a few of these badges myself but not managed to win them.

Regards,

chris
Old 03-03-18, 06:42 AM

Default Anodised- Cause for concern

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to raise the subject on the forum to test the water as to other contributor's opinions, and set the alarms ringing if duds were being proffered.

If there have been old collections reaching the market I can comprehend the sudden glut. I have also bought from Fred (although I didn't know it was he) in the past and had no complaint about what I received.

Stephen.
Old 03-03-18, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hampshire....c100005.m1851

That is not a genuine badge but one made for the collectors market. As are several others which were never authorised for production.
Hi Alan,

It's not even A/A.

Regards,

Chris