British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-14, 04:31 PM

"Hertfordshire Police had intelligence to suggest that the man, who lived in the house with his family, had been hoarding WW1 and WW2 artefacts."

They mean collecting, right?

Andy C
Old 18-09-14, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
"Hertfordshire Police had intelligence to suggest that the man, who lived in the house with his family, had been hoarding WW1 and WW2 artefacts."

They mean collecting, right?

Andy C
Somebody has probably seen him coming off MOD land and dobbed him in for the badness of it.
Old 18-09-14, 04:43 PM

I looked at his FB page and he had a lot of dug up rifle size ammo which looked as if a lot of it might still be live, as well as lots of badges etc... He certainly had been busy, but obviously a lot of the stuff he had was likely bought from what I can see and did not appear to be worthy of destruction. If he has been nighthawking as suggested then he should be prosecuted and if he has been digging for live larger caliber ordnance then he is lucky to be still with us and deserves any fines he gets. I have been involved in archaeology for more than 20 years and I am currently working on a WWII site at this time, though only some concrete pads for 3 towers have been found so far.

Jerry
Old 18-09-14, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I looked at his FB page and he had a lot of dug up rifle size ammo which looked as if a lot of it might still be live, as well as lots of badges etc... He certainly had been busy, but obviously a lot of the stuff he had was likely bought from what I can see and did not appear to be worthy of destruction. If he has been nighthawking as suggested then he should be prosecuted and if he has been digging for live larger caliber ordnance then he is lucky to be still with us and deserves any fines he gets. I have been involved in archaeology for more than 20 years and I am currently working on a WWII site at this time, though only some concrete pads for 3 towers have been found so far.
I reckon the press are making a big deal out of the fact that he has a large collection. I can't see him getting those rifles and large calibre rounds out of some firing range or ex POW camp. It's possible, but I doubt it. Then again we did bury a HESH round near the washdown at Harman Lines in Warminster. I bet we weren't the only ones either.
Old 18-09-14, 05:04 PM

The press do tend to make a big deal out of incidents like this but as with all such stories I would assume that there is some truth amongst the overreactions and hype.

Jerry
Old 18-09-14, 05:07 PM

Wasn't there mention of him digging at an old ordnance depot?

Its quite likely this is where he got some of his 'larger' dug up items.
Old 18-09-14, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Wasn't there mention of him digging at an old ordnance depot?

Its quite likely this is where he got some of his 'larger' dug up items.
Good job he didn't find a tank then eh? (It has happened).
Old 18-09-14, 05:25 PM

Seems that some of the relics were quite dangerous:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-29249537

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-09-14, 05:35 PM

I notice a related find in Oxfordshire has also just hit the news.

http://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/...acts-1-6306655

A man suspected of illegally obtaining artefacts and munitions from the two world wars through metal detecting has been arrested after the items were found in Oxfordshire.

The 35-year-old was held on suspicion of "theft from heritage and protected sites" following the discovery in Buckingham Crescent, Bicester.

Controlled explosions are due to take place to dispose of the First and Second World War artefacts and munitions found at the residential property.

Thames Valley Police said the find related to an operation earlier which uncovered suspected stolen wartime items in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

Jerry
Old 18-09-14, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Seems that some of the relics were quite dangerous:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-29249537

P.B.
I can imagine there is only one procedure for the bomb squad when they come across a complete shell with the fuse in position - that is to blow it up - even if it is safe and empty. Cannot see them dismantling the thing to check.
Old 18-09-14, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I notice a related find in Oxfordshire has also just hit the news.

http://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/...acts-1-6306655

A man suspected of illegally obtaining artefacts and munitions from the two world wars through metal detecting has been arrested after the items were found in Oxfordshire.

The 35-year-old was held on suspicion of "theft from heritage and protected sites" following the discovery in Buckingham Crescent, Bicester.

Controlled explosions are due to take place to dispose of the First and Second World War artefacts and munitions found at the residential property.

Thames Valley Police said the find related to an operation earlier which uncovered suspected stolen wartime items in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
Very similar case. Well if they've been bringing live ordnance home, even if it's just 303 rounds, then it was just a matter of time before there was an "incident". Most unfortunate in the first case at least as it looks like he's condemned his whole collection even if they're deactivated purchased items. Oh dear.
Old 18-09-14, 06:12 PM

I believe they do a risk assessment on the condition, type and age of the munitions and use a procedures list that helps inform how to proceed with each item.

They also have portable x ray machines that they can used if required. They can move items if they decide they are stable but if they are too unstable, they would destroy on site or close by.

The pictures shown in the papers etc seem to show some nice items that can readily be purchased at militaria fairs but I would suggest that if they are blowing things up in the middle of fields, they must have found some unstable/dangerous items.
Old 29-09-14, 04:34 PM

Mataldetecting is a nice hobby, but You should stay away from "forbidden" places and sure not take ammunition and other dangerous stuff home!
Old 29-09-14, 05:17 PM

I found this one behind Tesco's last year.

I thought it would be OK and brought it home in a trolley.

Do you think its a problem?

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNN2131BOMB---_1641503a.jpg (85.0 KB, 61 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 29-09-14, 05:19 PM

I hope you didn't leave a gaping hole in the tarmac after taking the bomb, someone might fall into the hole!