British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-12, 05:28 PM

Default Victorian Artillery

Is this badge a pouch badge or broken helmet plate? The three lugs are broken off but positions are clearly visible. The position of the lugs on the helmet plate are different. There is no obvious signs of anything broken off the badge. Thanks in advance, Dag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img247.jpg (24.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg img246.jpg (24.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 25-04-12, 05:30 AM

Default Victorian Guelphic Crown Arty Helmet plate.

I believe that what you are showing is a broken Artillery helmet plate. 1) The Guelphic Crown Arty plate that I have has the lugs in the identical same place as the piece you show. The later Victorian and "King's" crown Arty helmet plates have a different lay-out for the lugs. 2) I believe you will also find that pouch plates mostly had threaded rods brazed to them. 3) On the piece you show, the area below where the two lower lugs would be are the beginnings of the leaves and stalk that attach to the lower scroll of the complete badge. 4) The extended right hand end of the Canada scroll is to accommodate the placing of the sponging rod at around the 30 degree area of the gun wheel on the gunner's badge. I believe I saw the same piece on the well known auction site a couple of weeks ago. I opted not to bid for the reasons stated above. Best regards. D.J.
Old 27-04-12, 06:23 AM

Default Pouch plate

In addition to the above, I have found what appears to be a pouch plate in Mazeas pre 1914 book which seems identical to yours shown but minus the "Canada" scroll. Regards, David J.
Old 04-05-12, 06:31 AM

Default Another beauty?

Well at least they say that it's been severed! so spend your money and wait for the other half to turn up on eBay ! See #261016497722