British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-15, 01:46 AM

Default Civil Service

Maybe someone will confirm this helmet plate for me. I procured this helmet plate some time ago when I thought I thought I might have had a use for it but it doesn't really go with my current interest so sometime in the future, if the right opportunity arises, I may think about trading it off.....though I shan't be rushing to do so.

It is marked CIVIL SERVICE VOLUNTEER RIFLE CORPS. There seem to be a number of civil service regiments so am I correct in presuming this to be the 15th London Regt (Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles)?

It has the kings' crown so I presume it is from about 1902, but for how long was it worn?

And, of course, the biggie. Does it look to be authentic?

Any comments appreciated.

Donny B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 Dec badges 002.jpg (119.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 Dec badges 004.jpg (110.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 18-12-15, 02:57 AM

Hi Donny,

I think it's the 12th Middlesex (Civil Service) Rifle Volunteer Corps. I think at one time it was nominated as a Volunteer Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps but, in effect it retained it's Rifle Volunteer status until 1908.

In 1908 it became the 15th (County Of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Prince Of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles).

If I'm correct then the badge dates c.1902-1908, if I'm wrong no doubt a London Regt collector will come along and put me right!

Genuine or not? Will leave that to the experts.

David
Old 18-12-15, 04:09 AM

Thanks, David. That helps clear things up a bit for me.

I guess in doing my checking I noted the 12th Middlesex and the 15th (County of London) but I thought they were different and perhaps even concurrent. I didn't realize that one became the other in 1908. I was not able to find pictures of the helmet plate so I just associated the "feathers" and "the Prince of Wales" and took a stab.

Your input is appreciated.

Donny B.

Last edited by Donny B.; 18-12-15 at 04:54 AM.
Old 18-12-15, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
Thanks, David. That helps clear a things up a bit for me.

I guess in doing my checking I noted the 12th Middlesex and the 15th (count of London) but I thought they were different and perhaps even concurrent. I didn't realize that one became the other in 1908. I was not able to find pictures of the helmet plate so I just associated the "feathers" and "the Prince of Wales" and took a stab.

Your input is appreciated.

Donny B.
Donny,

You may find this post by Alan O, of interest:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...01&postcount=1

Regards
Old 18-12-15, 05:23 AM

I don't know whether I should be thanking you for this link or not.......493 pages! Whew! To get through this lot I am going to have to get in a fresh bottle of sustenance and allocate myself some pretty extended time at the computer.

Still, at a quick scroll down I can see it is an impressive piece of work and it has already cleared up one thing for me. I need to have a better understanding of my geography. For instance, I was not aware that London took in parts of Middlesex, Surrey and Kent, making, I suppose, a lot of regiments from those counties actually London regiments.

I shall work my way through it as time permits and, yes, thanks, Jelly.

Donny B.