British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-23, 09:56 AM

Default William Warren - Royal Engineers 25 Field Coy.

I'm looking for any information on the above Sapper. His full name is William Frederick Warren - Company Quartermaster Sergt RE 25 Field Coy. Died on 13 Sept 1942 - ( almost certainly from a disease - he was in an isolation hospital)
I don't know when he joined up - but given he was the Coy QM Sergt - I'm assuming that he would have joined up before 1939? ( or is that a false assumption? ) - Also can anyone tell me anything about 25 Field Coy ? I've treid public records with little success. Tim
Old 21-12-23, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I'm looking for any information on the above Sapper. His full name is William Frederick Warren - Company Quartermaster Sergt RE 25 Field Coy. Died on 13 Sept 1942 - ( almost certainly from a disease - he was in an isolation hospital)
I don't know when he joined up - but given he was the Coy QM Sergt - I'm assuming that he would have joined up before 1939? ( or is that a false assumption? ) - Also can anyone tell me anything about 25 Field Coy ? I've treid public records with little success. Tim
Should be 205 Field Company :

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...derick-warren/

Quote:
The 205th Field Company was based at the Drill Hall, Churchill Road, Weston-super-Mare and the 206th Company at Burnaby Road, Portsmouth.
In 1939, the 206th Company merged with the Hampshire Fortress Engineers. The 205th Company moved to Roborough in Plymouth to come under command of the 45th Division.
https://www.britishmilitaryhistory.c...on-1930-38.pdf

45th Divisional Engineers

Quote:
205th (Wessex) Field Company, 1st Line unit at Weston-super-Mare – joined 55th (West Lancashire) Division 1 August 1944

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 21-12-23, 11:46 AM

His name comes up on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial website and he is "Commemorated on Page 122 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance."

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remem...detail/2692171

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warren , William F.jpg (100.1 KB, 16 views)

Old 22-12-23, 10:25 AM

Many thanks Mike - that makes a lot more sense and explains why I couldn't find anything about the 25th !
Old 22-12-23, 10:30 AM

A bit more info :

Quote:
205th (Wessex) Field Coy RE 1st line TA; Jul 1938: Sep 1939: Weston-super-Mare; embodied (45th Infantry Division became operational 7 Sep 1939);relieved 15 Dec 1942. Returned to 45th Infantry Division 26 Sep 1943; relieved 31 Jul 1944. Assigned 55th (West Lancashire) Infantry Division 1 Aug 1944. Disbanded Sep 1945.
45th Infantry Division
Quote:
45th Infantry Division became operational 7 Sep 1939.

......In December, the division was placed on the lower establishment and was deployed to the Essex coastline in 1942. After a year in this position, during March 1943, the division deployed to Northern Ireland, where elements were based in County Down.

Old 22-12-23, 11:13 AM

Mike - as he was the Coy QM Segt - when he died in 1942 - I assume he would have been with the Coy for sometime before the war?
Old 22-12-23, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Mike - as he was the Coy QM Segt - when he died in 1942 - I assume he would have been with the Coy for sometime before the war?
It is possible/probable that his civilian occupation involved store keeping , so he could have been promoted/appointed to his T.A rank quite quickly ?