British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-09-11, 02:04 PM

I used to(and still do) collect complete lyrics by heart.

Last song i collected: its a long way to tipperrary.
Old 27-09-11, 02:51 PM

I am vastly relieved to learn that my compulsive collecting of things military, as well as other things such as china coffee cups, is caused by a gene and not a virus. If caused by a virus someone, acting for the good of humanity, would have by now discovered a vaccine which would cure this affliction. I also have wondered why some of us collect what we do and others, such as Hugh Heffner, collect buxom 23 year old women. Is it the same gene? Each to his own, I suppose.

Don
Old 22-01-24, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
My whole family are convinced I am a compulsive hoarder.

I definitely inherited this gene from my Dad.

As far as I can remember, and in no particular order, the subjects of my collections have been and in some cases still are:

Birds' eggs; dead birds' wings, old bottles (dug and purchased) (ditto Mike), the lowest denomination note of currencies from around the world; childrens' books, (especially Biggles, and a very nice collection I have too; Just William and Enid Blyton); Australian and Canadian stamps, various postcards, Brooke Bond tea cards; some cigarette cards, stuffed birds; Military headdress badges; walking sticks........but eventually became a stick maker for afew years; postmarks from envelopes; medals to selected regiments.

The most bizarre, according to the family, were meat mincers, you know the type, they were attached to a table, lumps of meat inserted and a handle wound.... perfect mince. (I've still got a few of these in the shed).

To this day, if somebody tells me that they collect certain things, I will look out for these items in my travels, no matter what it is....it's the thrill of searching out and tracking down the items.

I am a compulsive collector....probably suffer from OCD.....Obsessive Collecting Disorder.

Regards to all fellow OCD sufferers and keep on hoarding.

Regards

Brian

From Desmond Morris’ ‘The Nature of Happiness’:

‘One of my great joys is going on a book-hunt. Finding a rare book I desperately want after a long search, acquiring it and carrying it home with me, is a symbolic equivalent of a hunt for prey.’

Supplant the word ‘book’ with ‘badge’ and the sentiment could no doubt apply to us all.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 22-01-24 at 02:50 PM.