British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-11, 11:26 PM

Default Any ideas on this ebid lot?

Hi,

Just came across this item on ebid.

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/vintage-...853619.htm#pic

Any ideas on what it is and if its worth buying?

Cheers

Phil
Old 18-07-11, 01:06 AM

Well Phil... at 5 pounds shipping included and the fact that there are 7 days left on the item.... I would have kept my mouth shut on this one and done some research.... it looks interesting but maybe not military.... my thinking is you try and pick items up on the sly for cheap and then post it after you own it.... that's all part of the fun.... once you have alerted the forum if it is a genuine unique badge you will have alot of competition trying to get it.... What is a major piss off is when a forum member says"I don't have any interest in this badge but here's one that looks pretty cheap and looks genuine...." if you've been watching it for 6 days looking for a bargin you say thanks alot moron... I'll probably take some flak for this but what do the other members think?
Old 18-07-11, 09:58 AM
LYPAO Boff

I am reading between the lines here

Certainly an interesting badge though.....

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 18-07-11, 11:38 AM

Yes you make a valid point, I will keep it in mind in the future. The badge has sold now. Although, i do know of one the same for sale elsewhere. I wonder if they are a split pair of collars.

Cheers

Phil
Old 18-07-11, 12:51 PM

The badge is that of Reigate, Surrey, Borough Council. It is an old design which was replaced by a new heraldic device in 1951.

Possible it was, and may still be, used as a cap badge by council employees who need to wear some form of uniform, and again - and this was my first thoughts on it - it could be a past or present cap badge of Reigate Grammar School Cadets.

Edited much later to add: Upon reflection, I would come down in favour of the badge being at one time worn by council workers. The badge of Reigate Grammar School is also a castle keep, but of different design to the council one.

Last edited by johnG; 18-07-11 at 09:17 PM.