British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-09-23, 06:27 PM

Default Frank Perry - KIA 11th June 1941

I'm trying to find out more about the service record of Sgt Frank Gordon Fallows Perry - 570323 - Killed in action 11 June 1941. I know a lot about the actual incident but very little about Franks service prior to his death could anyone tell me when he joined up? He was in 16 Squadron based in Weston Zoyland and he was a W E Mech ( which I assume is a weapons engineer mechanic ? ) First question is what insignia would he of worn ? Second question is he was killed along with his pilot in a Lysander aircraft shot down near Exmouth - he was the rear gunner. Is that a usual duty for a W E Mech? I apologise if some of these questions are naïve but I'm trying to put together a narrative of his life. His is one of the graves that I look after as CWGC volunteer. I think I've even found out the name of the German pilot who shot him down - F W Wolfgang Falkinger of 111/JG2 - its slightly surreal to know the name of the man who actually killed one of "my casualties"
Any help much appreciated. Tim
Old 12-09-23, 07:13 AM

If you go the the National Archives website you will be able to search the Ops for 16 Squadron in 1941. These records will show more information on the man.
Old 12-09-23, 08:04 AM

Hi
MOD hold the records.
Here's a link...
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...casualty-files

If he joined before the war, there will be two types of records, one that can be obtained from ancestry site or the NA and the other as above from the MOD.
Hope this helps

Chris
Old 12-09-23, 01:21 PM

Many thanks for this - I've sent a request to the MOD for more details of his service, there's very little on ancestry - can't even find him in any family trees. As I said I have a lot about the actual incident - he was killed with his pilot who was a Sqn Leader ( who had only taken command the day before) - their plane was attacked by 4 ME109's - and depending on which report you read Perry shot down one of the ME's or one of the ME 109's was seen to break off from the attack. The Lysander was shot down in flames and crashed into a house near Exmouth. I'd still like to know about his insignia and his role - I have a sense that he might not usually have flown but I might be entirely wrong.
Old 15-09-23, 09:13 AM

I've looked through the operational logs of the squadron for the 6 months before the incident and can't find PERRY having taken a single flight. I have a theory that given that this was supposed to be a short routine flight and not a combat one that the new Sqn Ldr decided to "treat" PERRY to one - as it was going to be PERRY's 21st birthday the following day. If that is the case then its a particularly tragic happenstance that led to his death.
Old 15-09-23, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
he was a W E Mech ( which I assume is a weapons engineer mechanic ? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I've looked through the operational logs of the squadron for the 6 months before the incident and can't find PERRY having taken a single flight.
WEM = Wireless and Electrical Mechanic (ground tradesman).

Info from RAF Historical Society Journal

Possibly he was taken on the flight as he was planning on training as a Wireless Operator Mechanic (air gunner) - WOMAG.

Another suggestion is that he may have had a close connection to Wing Commander Richard Claude HANCOCK whose funeral arragements were the reason for the flight ?

Quote:
"In June 1941 a double tragedy struck the Squadron. Wg Cdr Hancock, who had gone down to Roborough to visit the detachment in the Proctor, crashed while taking off killing himself and badly injuring his passenger. Sqn Ldr D Walker, DFC, assumed command and flew to Roborough to make arrangements for the Wg Cdr's funeral. The day after, whilst enroute back to Weston Zoyland, Walker's Lysander was intercepted by four Me 109s.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WEM.jpg (95.4 KB, 11 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 15-09-23, 11:33 AM

Hi Mike - thanks very much for the information especially confirming that WEM was essentially a ground tradesman. ( and that W stands for wireless not weapons!) - Its a good shout on both counts - either he had a connection to Hannock - or he might have been "getting his flight in" for a future progression both are probably better than a "treat" ! The other thing I'm hoping to clear up is his promotion to Sgt. In the initial summary of events record from the Sqn he's listed as Cpl.