British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-14, 07:21 PM

Default Field Service Cap colour guide

Does such a thing as a guide to British Army Field Service Caps exist? I have found precious little on the internet apart from a guide to Canadian FSCs.

I have found a photograph of a similar cap to mine but the owner was trying and failing to identify it.

It has a white crown with yellow piping which is not particularly visible in my photograph. I would like to rebadge it as a badge has clearly been removed and judging from the discolouration the badge was probably circular with a crown above.

The cap is also unusual in that it has a pair of tails sewn on. Any thoughts please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSC 001.jpg (59.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 22-06-14, 07:38 PM

Hello High Wood

You might like to check out the MHS website, http://www.themilitaryhistoricalsociety.co.uk, as one of their Special Publications is on "Coloured Field Service Caps, Infantry", cost £2.00 + postage. It is still available I believe.

I don't have a copy myself, so I can't say how good it is, perhaps another member can comment on this aspect.

If I remember correctly, there was also a wartime publication that dealt with Field Service Caps and cap badges with coloured line drawings. I had a copy once but without the title page, so no help as to the actual title, sorry!

Regards
Roger
Old 22-06-14, 07:47 PM

I only have a photocopy of Regimental Badges and Service Caps, but I do have actual copies of the MHS Special Number "Coloured Field Service Caps- Infantry " and "British Military Hats" by Margaret Nobbs, all worth having if your interest extends to this subject.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2943.jpg (53.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2942.jpg (62.1 KB, 68 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-06-14, 07:53 PM

I have the book in question, however, its in storage. I would help otherwise
Old 22-06-14, 07:58 PM

I will look later to see if I can find the regiment but the tails are not some thing I recall seeing on coloured field service caps.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-06-14, 08:04 PM

Regimental Service caps and Badges by George Philip & sons is available in e-form as a free download. I can't recall what database it is on. If you cannot find it after searching IM me your contact details and I will send you a copy (it is too large a file to post here).

John
Old 22-06-14, 08:34 PM

Thank you; I have ordered a copy of the MHS booklet.
Old 22-06-14, 08:36 PM

It is not shown in my copy of Regimental Badges and Service Caps.

Jerry
Old 22-06-14, 08:54 PM

Very strange. It has general service buttons but there are no markings including date inside. As I said in an earlier post, it was once badged.
Old 04-09-15, 12:52 PM

Default BOSS BADGES

Following this theme on headress, is there any sort of definitive guide to the various styles and colour of cord boss badges worn by the British Army. It is something I sort of fell into whilst looking at Gurkha badges and seems to be an area with little or no published references that I can find.
I know of the various rifles and light infantry but also that regiments such as Berks, Buffs, Warwicks at some time all had cord bosses.
Any clues?
Old 04-09-15, 01:21 PM

didithevan,

The only source in respect of boss badges ( i.e dealing exclusively with this type of badge ) that I know of is a series of articles in the Crown Imperial magazine in March and June 1980 and June 1981 by Irvin L.Mortenson entitled " The Cord Boss as a Head dress Badge "

The articles mention and describe many different examples of cord bosses but cannot be said to deal with all examples of cord boss badges and only a few are actually illustrated.

P.B.

Old 05-09-15, 09:23 PM

Default Boss badges

Mm, sounds like a potential project for spare time in the future then........
Old 09-09-15, 07:34 PM

Here is my example, the badge leaves a clear ghost mark and I believe it to be original to the cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REME (5).jpg (95.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg REME (4).jpg (43.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg REME (3).jpg (22.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg REME (1).jpg (39.3 KB, 15 views)