British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-22, 02:13 PM

Default Norfolk Regt Variant

Got to be my favourite Norfolk Regiment O/Rs’ variant. Anyone have any ideas as to the manufacturer, please?

E993E983-4BA2-4C9D-A2B4-3F993B529DA8.jpg A7516446-41FE-47F1-B0A8-4E1F66EAA230.jpg

With thanks,

JT
Old 19-05-22, 05:26 PM

Nice.
Andy
Old 19-05-22, 05:30 PM

Cheers Andy. You don’t see them come up for sale too often. Nice spotting them when they do.

JT
Old 19-05-22, 06:03 PM

A nice variation. I too would like to know who made this die. It's the only variation I have seen to date where the crosses within the shield are not edged. I've overlaid the most commonly seen variation (Gaunt??) with my badge from the same die as yours to illustrate this difference. Hoping this is of interest too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4138.jpg (92.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 19-05-22, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
A nice variation. I too would like to know who made this die. It's the only variation I have seen to date where the crosses within the shield are not edged. I've overlaid the most commonly seen variation (Gaunt??) with my badge from the same die as yours to illustrate this difference. Hoping this is of interest too.
Nice one [pollux raised].

Slight digression: you think the badge you have on top could be Gaunt?

JT
Old 19-05-22, 07:28 PM

JT. I can't say for sure, but that die was being used when the badges had loops pre-WW1, same with the VB badges I have, and so on through to slidered versions, and of course the 1916 all-GM. All from the same die, or certainly all from the same die-maker. A distinctive Britannia, two-berry badge, and as said, the most common original version to be found. So it's a guess it will be an established insignia manufacturer with a long history such as Gaunt? Can you moot any other makers that would fit the bill i.e were producing this badge 1897 - 1916 and perhaps beyond to 1935? (I reckon a lot of the other variations we find are WW1 issues from the many different makers that sprang into life in 1914/15?) As always just thinking aloud and always interested to be corrected and learn more.
Old 19-05-22, 07:46 PM

Perfectly logical, and thanks for sharing your reasoning on that.

I suppose I can think of others (not many) but nobody who would be any more of a contender than Gaunt. It’s just a shame that there was not an officers’ version of this badge.

Great stuff.

JT

Quote:
JT. I can't say for sure, but that die was being used when the badges had loops pre-WW1, same with the VB badges I have, and so on through to slidered versions, and of course the 1916 all-GM. All from the same die, or certainly all from the same die-maker. A distinctive Britannia, two-berry badge, and as said, the most common original version to be found. So it's a guess it will be an established insignia manufacturer with a long history such as Gaunt? Can you moot any other makers that would fit the bill i.e were producing this badge 1897 - 1916 and perhaps beyond to 1935? (I reckon a lot of the other variations we find are WW1 issues from the many different makers that sprang into life in 1914/15?) As always just thinking aloud and always interested to be corrected and learn more.
Old 19-05-22, 07:46 PM

Forgot to say: Also the Gresham's School Norfolk OTC badge is of the same maker.
Old 19-05-22, 07:59 PM

I also agree, personally my money would be on Firmin only because with so many knocking about from that die I’d suspect we may have bumped into one made on a non-WO contract i.e. TF association etc. which could have been in line for some branding i.e. a Gaunt plaque. But that’s far from a definite, it may well be Gaunt and as J.T. say a shame there’s no OSD version.

The badge in the opening post is probably my favourite too, it’s the helmet that does it for me. And I still remember and treasure the one you very kindly gifted me a few years ago J.T.
Old 19-05-22, 08:22 PM

It has a certain elegance about it. So many of the other variants aren’t particularly flattering to our esteemed lady.

By elimination we already know some of the manufacturers who aren’t responsible for this variant, but there are also so many badge makers whose names are never seen. You only have to look through the RACD ledgers to realise that just how many.

Nice one, chaps.

JT
Old 19-05-22, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I also agree, personally my money would be on Firmin only because with so many knocking about from that die I’d suspect we may have bumped into one made on a non-WO contract i.e. TF association etc. which could have been in line for some branding i.e. a Gaunt plaque. But that’s far from a definite, it may well be Gaunt and as J.T. say a shame there’s no OSD version.
Quote:

The badge in the opening post is probably my favourite too, it’s the helmet that does it for me. And I still remember and treasure the one you very kindly gifted me a few years ago J.T.
Blimey! You’ve got a good memory.

I just hope she’s happy among those fake badges of yours
Old 19-05-22, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
[COLOR="Gray"]

Blimey! You’ve got a good memory.

I just hope she’s happy among those fake badges of yours
Elephants and badge collectors never forget!

Oh yes safe and sound in my junk tin somewhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427BE11-6BB8-43F8-8EF4-40A739474771.jpg (121.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 19-05-22, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Elephants and badge collectors never forget!

Oh yes safe and sound in my junk tin somewhere
Criminal! You oughta mind you don’t find yourself up infront of the local bagistrate, sunshine!

As good ol’ DaveC used to say: better send them to me for safe keeping.
Old 19-05-22, 08:56 PM

A good point Luke, thanks, and one I hadn't considered.

JT. You're right some of the Ladies leave a lot to be desired. Lambourne are much derided for their effort, but this one is perhaps the worst I have seen. If the chap who made the MM 'punch face/old crone' fake die was ever given an original to copy, it was this badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4145.jpg (97.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 19-05-22, 09:01 PM

Quote:
A good point Luke, thanks, and one I hadn't considered.

JT. You're right some of the Ladies leave a lot to be desired. Lambourne are much derided for their effort, but this one is perhaps the worst I have seen. If the chap who made the MM 'punch face/old crone' fake die was ever given an original to copy, it was this badge.
Oh my good gawd!

Looks as if the poor cow got her boat race trapped in the lift doors on her way out of the cosmetic surgery clinic.

A face only a mother could love, eh?

Tags
maker, norfolk, other ranks, variant