British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-11, 04:38 AM

Default "Phantom Major" book, with insignia

Hello folks, I thought I'd share an unusual SAS item with you this evening. I found this several years ago at a New York bookseller. It's a copy of Virginia Cowles' 1958 book "The Phantom Major," which everyone on this forum no doubt knows quite well. This copy was specially bound in crimson morocco leather by Sangorski & Sutcliffe, with a metal SAS beret badge inset to the front cover, a cloth SAS beret badge mounted into the front inside cover, and a broken German War Merit Cross inset to the back cover. Neatly pasted into one of the front free endpapers is the half-title page from another book ("Paras de la France Libre"), inscribed to Jack Flint by David Stirling and by another French officer. And finally, the copyright page has a small paper label with the SAS unit crest. I've never seen another one like it. I've been told by another collector that Stirling had these copies bound as gifts for friends, but I have no confirmation or provenance for that story. In any case, it's a lovely book to hold, and one with a story that would be fascinating to know. If any of the forum members can shed light on its origins, I'd appreciate it.

Best wishes, castagain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhantomMajor 006.jpg (62.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg PhantomMajor 007.jpg (69.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg PhantomMajor 008.jpg (64.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg PhantomMajor 009.jpg (30.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg PhantomMajor 010.jpg (41.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg PhantomMajor 011.jpg (65.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by castagain; 06-10-11 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Better pics
Old 06-10-11, 08:02 AM

Sorry I can not add anything but admiration for a fantastic book. I hope members can help you out; there are some members of the forum who really know their stuff about the S.A.S. Regards Mike
Old 06-10-11, 10:48 AM
Banned

Cant add much except to say that the SAS badge on yellow and white was cut from the spine of the original dust jacket.
Old 22-10-11, 03:42 AM

thats awesome
Old 22-10-11, 05:22 AM

What is nicer the new SAS war diary@gbp 975 or this one? can't help either but a great book well done! Cheers JB