British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-21, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Thank you gentlemen. I see their is debate over it. I am guessing if one came a long at a decent price I would go ahead and add it to the collection. This is my source for the picture. I found this on line, but have no idea what their source is, but thought it helpful.

Have to say how happy I am to have joined this forum, and be able to get such great discussion on the subjects that interest me. Well done all!!!!

Terry
That card is from the Professor Charles Thomas collection dispersed and sold a few years ago.

Tim
Old 05-11-21, 02:34 AM

Thanks Tim, I was thinking that was probably from his collection. I know who bought that board and actually owned that ATS title at one time. When I found one without glue, I passed it on.

Terry
Old 05-11-21, 03:53 PM

From my book Badges on Battle Dress and showing the Junior Officers School title.

Jon

Before the war ATS officers received limited training, full-time training courses for ATS officers not starting until December 1939. Formed in Edinburgh in February 1941 the Officer Cadet Training Unit (OCTU) with 200 trainees remained there until disbanded in October 1943. The large number of officers required by the expanding ATS led to the establishment in autumn 1941 of No 2 OCTU at Egham, Surrey which moved to Windsor the following spring, its vacated premises becoming a Junior Officers’ School teaching administrative skills to junior commissioned officers. Distinctive designations were worn on service dress by permanent staff at the Junior Officers’ School and No2 ATS OCTU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS OCTU JC.jpg (28.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-05-23, 12:22 PM

Default only PERMANENT STAFF?

Jon

Was the ATS OFFICERS SCHOOL shoulder flash Only worn by Permanent Staff?

Is there a photograph of it being worn on a uniform?

Thank you - Bill
Old 09-05-23, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Jon

Was the ATS OFFICERS SCHOOL shoulder flash Only worn by Permanent Staff?

Is there a photograph of it being worn on a uniform?

Thank you - Bill
IWM has a this photo titled :

Quote:
An A.T.S. Officer Cadet Training Unit

ATS girls on parade at an officer cadet training unit at Craigmillar, Edinburgh, Scotland.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205195562

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS title.jpg (70.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ATS title 2.jpg (25.0 KB, 27 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 09-05-23, 04:47 PM

Mike, The picture shown is of former FANYs who joined the ATS. Those ladies who were FANYs that joined the ATS (Women's Transport Service) prior to September 1941 were allowed to wear this WTS/FANY title on their BD.

The title comes in two versions, an cream buff backing color and a khaki backing color, both with ruby colored text. I am not certina, but believe he cream buff was the first issue, but it may have just been a different manufacturer.

FANY 9 a.jpg

FANY 5.jpg

FANY ATS 9.jpg

FANY ATS 6.jpg

Those FANYs who did not join the ATS, were called "True FANYs" and many became members of the SOE serving in various capacities. Several became agents who served behind the German lines in France with 12 being captured and killed.

Terry
Old 09-05-23, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Mike, The picture shown is of former FANYs who joined the ATS. Those ladies who were FANYs that joined the ATS (Women's Transport Service) prior to September 1941 were allowed to wear this WTS/FANY title on their BD.

The title comes in two versions, an cream buff backing color and a khaki backing color, both with ruby colored text. I am not certina, but believe he cream buff was the first issue, but it may have just been a different manufacturer.

Attachment 283665

Attachment 283666

Attachment 283667

Attachment 283668

Those FANYs who did not join the ATS, were called "True FANYs" and many became members of the SOE serving in various capacities. Several became agents who served behind the German lines in France with 12 being captured and killed.

Terry
Not all were FANY's , some women who were not simply joined the ATS at the onset of WW2.

Quote:
The day before war was declared she was embodied into the Army and was posted to the War Station Railway Training Centre at Longmore and remembered having to help put rolling stock back on the tracks.

It was in July 1941 while she was at her next posting to 12 Field Training Regiment Royal Artillery at Bordon that she was first interviewed and told that she had been selected to become an officer.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 28-01-24, 03:07 PM

Default OCTU SHOULDER TITLE

I believe it was possibly worn by permanent staff at the ATS OCTU Edinburgh. That was where the ATS within Auxiliary Units Special Duties Branch were commissioned.

I have another cloth shoulder title WOMANS TRANSPORT SERVICE - FANY

| am looking for a better copy - have you seen one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OCTU FANY FLASH.JPG (15.2 KB, 13 views)