British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-18, 08:32 PM

I had to do a little digging to confirm it. My first reaction when seeing it was Special Boat Squadron. However that made no sense based on this in all appearances was an American unit. Other indicators were the Balkan connections I had found in the names of other OSS personnel noted in the negatives. The Special Bari Section’s focus was the Balkans.
Old 26-07-18, 06:04 AM

Yes indeed - the American presence and markings is a bit of a give away.
Looking forward to more interesting posts
Mike
Old 26-07-18, 12:57 PM

http://

A photo of Captain Charles "Charlie" Fisher at the American Red Cross Club in July 1944 while in Bari. Did a bit of digging and determined that this is most likely the same Captain Charles Fisher who was killed in December 1944 in Slovenia. His original mission was to use Slovenia as a springboard into Austria and connecting with partisans in that country. Below is a portion of his Distinguished Service Cross Citation, posthumously awarded on January 11, 1946. His remains were not recovered until 1992.

"For extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with the 2677th Regiment, Office of Strategic Services, Mediterranean Theater of Operations, in action against enemy forces from 27 August 27 to 24 December 1944. With full knowledge of the dangers involved, Captain Fisher volunteered to establish an advance intelligence and operations base with the Partisans in enemy-held Slovenia. As Commanding Officer of this unit, he organized, trained, equipped and carried it safely through an extremely hazardous mission. For four months, behind enemy lines, under constant pressure from the enemy he accomplished the collection of secret intelligence of strategic value to the Allied Forces in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations, working at all times under the most difficult and perilous conditions. The continuance of his operations was subject to the further hardships of living in inaccessible mountainous terrain in bitter weather and of constant moving to evade enemy attacks. About December 1944, Captain Fisher was reported missing following a previous attack on the Partisan Headquarters with which he was working, and subsequent attempts to gain further information as to his fate led only to the conclusion that he was killed in action."
Old 26-07-18, 03:06 PM

Very interesting and an acknowledgement of the hazardous nature of the missions these chaps got involved with
Mike
Old 26-07-18, 07:00 PM

Thanks Mike, appreciate your interest and comments. Another shot from Bari. The Pro Station was your first stop before a night out with the ladies.
Jack

Old 26-07-18, 08:12 PM

I wonder what the kiddies are foraging for? ... hard times!
First thoughts were a Yank or two must have been standing there are dropped a few sweets
Mike
Old 27-07-18, 10:56 AM

Excellent Jack. I display a similar wing, as image attached. Although there was not a specific wing worn by those who served in SOE, this is a more uncommon pattern. regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (35.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 27-07-18, 11:05 AM

Thank you Clive. I had seen attributions to SOE for this wing but as you mention no specific wing was authorized for this organization. My OSS person must have had access to the same same supply channels or interaction with British personnel who were sourcing these type of wings. One question in my mind is where might they have been made. Italy, Egypt?
Best
Jack
Old 27-07-18, 12:34 PM

Here is a leather patch from this group that has used as it's inspiration the U.S. Army Airborne Command patch. There are a number of differences in color's as well as the type of plane depicted but it is close.

This type leather patch is consistent with WW2 era Italian made U.S. Air Force squadron and group patches worn on leather A-2 flight jackets. This OSS individual must have sourced a leather jacket at some point. Has been removed and show's wear to the colors.
Old 27-07-18, 12:55 PM

Hi Clive and all
Yes, the similarity with the Force 133 Wing, (Force 133 being an SOE organisation) is striking. What is interesting is the theatres of war in which Christine Granville operated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystyna_Skarbek

If my rushed interpretation is correct her service saw her journeying to Poland, France, Hungary and Turkey - with an escape to Cairo. You may wish to check my interpretation. I believe the Wing you illustrate may also have Middle East origins, which could be borne out by the stop in Cairo. All perhaps a bit of a 'leap of faith'. But may explain similarity with Force 133 attributed wing and also Special Bari Section OSS attributed wing.

I have always been puzzled why the Wing illustrated in the Christine Granville portrait could be considered British made - although perhaps it was ... more evidence required to prove things one way or another.

All the best
Mike

PS - Quick definition of Force 133

http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/...10803095827808
Old 27-07-18, 12:56 PM

Jack
Interesting item - thanks for posting ... keep them coming ...
Mike
Old 27-07-18, 01:16 PM

Jack, a great grouping, congratulations on landing it (I bid on it too). Appreciate you printing the negatives and sharing the photos. I love the pilot’s case this batch came in too — that and the photo negatives really personalized the story of the insignia, tucked away in that weathered case for many years. Well done.

Best wishes,
Donovan

Last edited by castagain; 27-07-18 at 01:47 PM.
Old 27-07-18, 01:32 PM

Thanks Mike and Clive

Donovan, almost talked my self out of the group because it seemed too good. The negative sleeves and there notations relating to OSS and SOE locations (Cairo, Bari, Brindisi, Burma) locked it all down for me. The photos some of which I am still having developed are great. My inclination based on some of the photos is that he may have also been with OSS Det 101 in Burma. Will also post some of these.

Best
Jack
Old 28-07-18, 01:39 PM

After some deduction, elimination and double checking notations on the negative sleeves I feel with a fair degree of certainty that this is the OSS individual whom the badges belonged. Still do not know a name and that may never be possible. Here are shots of him first in Cairo firing off the United Defense 42 SMG, second photo is him chuted up at Brindisi and third as a Captain in Siena Italy late 44 wearing a leather A2 jacket. The leather patch I had posted earlier may have been sewn to this jacket at some point.
Thanks
Jack

http://
Old 29-07-18, 06:59 AM

Thanks for sharing the images - the grouping is a very interesting find
The wings in the first of the last three images (post 29) look to have less parallel wing feathers than the wing illustrated in post 1 - it may just be me, or of course the wearer could have had several wings issued to them. The wings at 1 appear to be unworn but you will know better than me.
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 29-07-18 at 07:04 AM.