British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-13, 10:46 AM

Question RNVR cap badge

Gentlemen, I've joined this forum specifically to see if any of you can shed a little light on a mystery for me.
My Dad was in the RNVR (WW2) - I can see why Mum fell for him. His cap badge is reasonably clear in this pic, and the crown is undoubtedly rounded at the top.

Recently I opened a box of Dad's that I hadn't looked in since he died a few years ago, and came across this badge. The crown is a different shape at the top, (not clear on the pic is that it's framed with little dark circles - possibly tarnished silver?)

My question is - did the RNVR cap badges change shape at some point, and this is the newer version? It looks new, though it must have been on something, as it had a few (rather rough) stitches on it.

If it didn't change shape, can anyone tell me which part of the Navy this badge belongs to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1471.JPG (70.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1472.JPG (65.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-08-13, 12:00 PM

Hi

The badge your dad is wearing in the picture bears the Kings Crown (the one with rounded top as you put it) which was in use 1902-1952 so its correct for WWII the other crown is known as a Queens Crown and has been in use since 1953.
Hope this helps

David
Old 08-08-13, 12:50 PM

As David mentions the cap badge is 2WW period, & it appears to me as if it might be the 1944 metal version.

Also he is wearing the RNVR Midshipman rank insignia on his lapels.
I have att'd a photo of the RCNVR version.

Was your father an Engineering officer?

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midshipman RCNVR.jpg (64.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-08-13, 01:37 PM

Thank you David, it never occurred to me about the change of Monarch! So I presume that Dad must have bought the new badge once it was issued, even though by that time he was working in civvy life. I don't know about him being an engineer, I was under the impression he was in charge of one of the people carrier boats (sorry, I don't know the correct name) that delivered men to the D Day beaches. I have a younger brother that will probably know more about that, so I'll have to ask him. Many thanks, both of you, for taking the trouble to reply.
Old 08-08-13, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacelady View Post
Thank you David, it never occurred to me about the change of Monarch! So I presume that Dad must have bought the new badge once it was issued, even though by that time he was working in civvy life. I don't know about him being an engineer, I was under the impression he was in charge of one of the people carrier boats (sorry, I don't know the correct name) that delivered men to the D Day beaches. I have a younger brother that will probably know more about that, so I'll have to ask him. Many thanks, both of you, for taking the trouble to reply.
What you ar referring to lacelady, were called Landing Craft - ie: LCI(Landing Craft Infantry), LCT(Landing Craft Tank), & there were other designations as well.

RCN Bryan
Old 20-08-13, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
What you ar referring to lacelady, were called Landing Craft - ie: LCI(Landing Craft Infantry), LCT(Landing Craft Tank), & there were other designations as well.

RCN Bryan
Hi, Bryan, I've taken forever to get some info from my brother. Apparently he is under the impression that Dad ended up as a second Lieutenant, second in command of an LCT (which is what you surmised). He specifically was in charge of the navigation and was in one of the first waves to land on Utah beach, with some Sherman tanks on board.

He has a pic of Dad when he married Mum. and has promised to send me a copy. He was wearing his full uniform, complete with the wavy gold braid on his sleeves that I remember. When I was little, Mum had this braid in her sewing box and I used to play with it. Wish I still had it now.
Old 20-08-13, 12:18 PM

2nd Lieut is an Army rank.
Your father would have been a Sub Lieutenant RNVR.

His service record would likely be available & as next of kin either you or your brother could apply for it. It would supply you with all of his 2WW service & ranks, additional qualifications(ie: navigation), dates for ships & base appointments etc.

RCN Bryan