British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-21, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Just found a Gaunt example numbered "G 5504" with the date letter for 1967-68 and a button hole fitting.
That number and date would fit in nicely as my 1970 one is G6407. A rough estimate based on the 'numbers' I've seen would suggest about 400 Gold badges were awarded each year but this is purely my "guestimate" .

I'm still trying to discover when the button hole fitting was phased out , I haven't seen any RBL ones so possibly 1972.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-01-21, 08:47 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it does have the anchor so must be "Brummagen" (?)!

I'll get my super strength eyeglass on to it....

It does always pay to have a good look at a listing as I found out years back. I bought a silver badge of a type that I like and was very annoyed to see it turn up with two small holes drilled in it (presumably to mount on a board).

Convinced that I'd been "had" I went back to the photo of the listing to see.....two small holes quite evident in the picture!

There is an up side to this, however. My friend who made the enamel poppy has repaired it beautifully so that the holes are no longer there!

Some folk are worth their weight in......silver!
Old 16-01-21, 08:54 PM

Oh, just seen your post on the "G" badge. Thanks for the steer on date.

I think that the phasing out of the button hole fitting must match the decline in the use of button holes on garments such as suits, dress jackets and other items of gents' apparel that commonly employed them.

The "devil's own" pin and butterfly spike that you've posted about earlier must mark another "end of an era".

Mind you, I think it would be a brave wearer who would trust one of those fittings with a gold badge!
Old 21-01-21, 09:47 AM

Default For Merit

A couple of month back I picked up a badly damaged British Legion "For Merit" badge , well I have just got hold of one in good condition. (sorry Michael )

It has a "unique identification number" K295 , which due to a bit of luck means I can date the badge to approximately 1971.

The Royal British Legion version of the badge was introduced in 1972 and one that I have is numbered K298 , which means I have one of the last British Legion issued and one of the first Royal British Legion ones.

Based on these numbers , a rough 'guestimate' would indicate that approximately 27 "For Merit" awards were made each year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL For Merit K295 F.jpg (58.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg BL For Merit K295 R.jpg (42.2 KB, 7 views)

Old 22-01-21, 11:30 PM

Default British Legion Women's Section medal

Hi Mike

Here's the BL medal I spoke of before. I didn't use my much photographed stainless rule this time but it clocks in at around 30mm. Not h/m as I thought but maker marked "M B & Co".

Interesting to note that we bought our house from a "Mrs Farmer"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blwsmedal.jpg (41.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg blwsmedal2.jpg (36.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 25-01-21, 09:02 AM

Possibly made by Murrle Bennet & Co ( a very similar mark but not in an oval like this one) or Mitchell Bosley & Co. Any "silver sleuths" around?
Old 25-01-21, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Possibly made by Murrle Bennet & Co ( a very similar mark but not in an oval like this one) or Mitchell Bosley & Co. Any "silver sleuths" around?
My first thought was Murrle Bennett but :
"In 1896 Murrle Bennet & Co was founded and operated as such until 1914" then traded under 'White Redgrove & Whyte'.

Also , Mitchell Bosley & Co makers mark was M.B (no &Co.).

It is still a very nice item and a unique collectors piece.

Old 26-01-21, 03:02 AM

Hi Mike

Great work! I think that this came with a printed scroll to Mrs. F, but that will be with other ephemera that wouldn't fit in with the medal.

I did look on the online silver maker's marks directory but couldn't see a mark that quite fitted the style. I might post a close up if anyone is keen.

Anyone like to see what Ancestry can throw up on Mrs Farmer?

Question: was the Women's Section usually composed of wives/ daughters of ex-servicemen?
Old 26-01-21, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Question: was the Women's Section usually composed of wives/ daughters of ex-servicemen?
Lots of different groups.

From Keeping Faith by Brian Harding :

"The question of membership was discussed . As well as women who themselves had served in uniform , the women's auxilliaries and the nursing services of the armed forces , other women's organisations including the Voluntary Aid Detachment and the Land Army , it was agreed that wives and widows , mothers , sisters and daughters of servicemen were eligible."

Old 28-01-21, 06:29 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. A very comprehensive answer to my question!
Old 28-01-21, 03:44 PM

Default British Legion Gold Badge - Update 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
1. 1950 British Legion Gaunt badge with button hole fitting , hallmarked but no member number.

2. 1970 British Legion Gaunt badge with pin fitting , hallmarked with member number G6407.

3. 1977 Royal British Legion Gaunt badge with pin fitting , hallmarked with member number G9090.

4. 1987 Royal British Legion Premier Badges (PB Ltd.) badge , hallmarked with member number G14024.
I spotted an 'unusual' British Legion badge , it had what appeared to be a brass disc/backplate. The rear of the badge wasn't shown but as it was different I snapped it up.I thought it may have had a screw post fitting and the disc was some type of washer.

Usually I would ask the seller for another photo before committing but recently I've missed out on a couple of items due to delay in seller getting back to me.

The badge had a box and it "appeared" to have a 'G' on it but numerous times the box and badge are different.

Well , it arrived today and is a hallmarked Gold Gaunt badge (button hole fitting) with the correct number on box and badge !

The disc is well made and appears to be a 'safety' fitting to stop the badge from coming out of a button hole. I have never seen this before.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg G 1 F.jpg (76.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg G 1 R.jpg (67.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg G Disc.jpg (89.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg G 2 R.jpg (65.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg G Box.jpg (51.7 KB, 16 views)

Old 28-01-21, 10:53 PM

Nice badge Mike,

I've subscribed to the thread now so hopefully I won't miss important information about these in the future (like what the lettering means &#128518

Michael
Old 29-01-21, 08:39 PM

Nice find - At a nice price I hope..

Never seen a back plate before, I wonder if it is contemporary to badge?

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 30-01-21, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Nice find - At a nice price I hope..

Never seen a back plate before, I wonder if it is contemporary to badge?
Got it for a very nice price !

I've not seen that style of back plate with any button hole badges , it definitely appears to be contemporary to the badge (wear/patina).

If the plate was found on it's own it would probably be dismissed as a washer .

Old 30-01-21, 10:10 PM

Hi Mike

A nice wee find there. I would think that, from your photo, that backing plate has been made/ supplied by the manufacturer.

Some Australian lapel badges can be found with a backing plate similar to this. They used a cotter pin arrangement passing through either two separate loops or a fitting with two holes drilled in it. The loop system, as seen on the Returned from Active Service badge, was rather prone to one or both loops breaking off.

My poor description doesn't really do this justice, but members in Australia will know what I am attempting to describe!