British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-11, 02:34 AM

Thumbs up Ottawa Military Heritage Show on October 30, 2011

I put a profile together on the Ottawa Military Heritage Show for e-veritas, the alumni journal of the Canadian Military Colleges, which forum members may find of interest.

6250 Maj (Ret'd) Louis Grimshaw (RRMC 1964) of Louis E Grimshaw Antiques, was one of the vendors selling Canadian and Foreign militaria, metal and cloth badges, medals, insignia, books and historical items at the Ottawa Military Heritage Show held at Nepean Sportsplex on October 30, 2011. Among the military college alumni attending the show were e-veritas contributors E3161 Victoria Edwards (RMC 2003) and 6137 LCol (Ret'd) Wyn Van der Schee (CMR RMC 1964). Several of the military college collectables on sale are featured in the reference book 'Canadian Militia Badges pre 1914' by Daniel Mazeas, 1990. These include a pre 1914 RMC belt buckle with removable badge; a late 1800s gilt and red velvet RMC pin with the motto Truth Duty Valour, a rare RMC pin with the College motto in bronze (1912), and various RMC helmet plates (King's Crown) in gilt. A few vendors sold postcards depicting the Canadian Military Colleges and RMC pins with the College motto in silver (1920-52).

Last edited by Victoria Edwards; 04-12-11 at 04:06 PM.
Old 31-10-11, 02:18 PM

Looking good Wyn! I see Lou was hard at work as usual!

For those who attended how was the show? Was being back at Nepean like coming home again?
Old 31-10-11, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

The renovations to the Hall were great. The lighting is excellent, and it appears a lot bigger with the mirror walls. Seems a lot cleaner as well.
Lots of people, but sales were a bit slow. (From my perspective.)
It is a good location, and the next show in April is there as well. Note it is on SATURDAY April 28.
Old 31-10-11, 02:55 PM

As Bill A stated, the Nepean Sportsplex venue underwent a major renovation since my last show there. The room IMO bore little resemblance to the old Halls A & B. It was very lit and seemed to be well attended. Although this location is a further drive for me than Tudor Hall, I do prefer it. There is always enough parking no matter what other events many be taking place at the same time.

Being a buyer only, I must admit I actually came home with money in my pocket. Not much but some.

I must again thank Bill A for the "Battle Drills' pocket book from the Irish Regiment of Canada. Not something I expected at all.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 31-10-11, 03:31 PM

Yes, the Sportsplex was definitely a great improvement on what it used to be like, and much better than the previous venues. It started off being quite packed but petered out by about lunchtime. Was it my imagination or was there less space between the rows of tables? I seemed to be bumping into people all the time, or was it because I was distracted by something on another table?

I looked for you, Victoria, but didn't see you anywhere. Good to see Bill, although we never really got a chance to chat.

For my part, I found there was less British stuff to add to my collection, and prices for some seemed much higher than before, particularly the cloth badges. Nevertheless, I came away with a few items - one from Lou Grimshaw, a couple from Dave Hiorth, and one from Rob Lowe, as well as a couple of badges from Afghanistan (KAF) from Ed Storey. I'll maybe post them shortly.

Overall, not a bad show, but I'm finding less and less every time I go - and I don't think it's because I have more and more in my collection, because there'll always be more to collect. It's part of the fun though, to keep looking. David
Old 31-10-11, 07:46 PM

It was good to put some faces to names. Had difficulty getting around as my sciatica was really playing up. Likely missed a few things on the tables but did come away with some reference books. Looking forward to the next one when maybe i wont have spent all my money at auctions. There did seem to be lots of German stuff but dang arent those helmets expensive? Some vendors dont put prices on anything which is annoying if you have to ask How much for this or that. Cheers Brian
Old 31-10-11, 09:40 PM

I enjoyed being back at the sports Center and it has much better lighting. Left with my pockets almost empty but found a few real nice items for my signals collection so made for a worthwhile trip from Toronto.
Having it on Saturday next spring might make it hard to attend with the drive but then there are sick days from work or a vacation day !! VVV Gerry
Old 01-11-11, 02:28 AM

As usual, this show was an opportnity to socialize with authors, customers and dealers. It was good to see a number of the usual suspects.
Old 01-11-11, 01:15 PM

Agree with the members above who mentioned the improvements in the hall, the IMPROVED lighting alone makes it worthwhile!

It was a good show & very well attended. I thought it might have been a record attendance this show. I know I was very busy at my table right up till around 1300, then {which is normal} it just died out.

Have no idea how the Sat idea will fly tho............. guess we will find out in Apl,

Bryan

Vendors --- have to bring your own carts - they are not supplied by the venue anymore.
Old 02-11-11, 12:24 AM

Red face Ottawa Military Heritage Show on October 30, 2011

Actually, Victoria, I would like to set the record straight. I started CMR in 1959 and graduated from RMC in 1964. Lou Grimshaw and I were classmates, although he started at Royal Roads and we have both been collecting militaria for over 50 years. I should say, however that he is a better and more knowledgeable collector than I could ever hope to be.
Wyn

Tags
rmc