British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16-10-18, 08:14 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,161
Default Parachute Regiment

Just wanted to check that these were ok. Top right WW2 i hope, not sure about the rest.
Thanks Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16-10-18, 09:08 PM
arrestingu arrestingu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 863
Default

I believe top right is WW2 , others post war, due to thread at an angle rather than straight in the WW2 example.
I am sure others will comment in due course.
Cheers
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16-10-18, 09:59 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestingu View Post
I believe top right is WW2 , others post war, due to thread at an angle rather than straight in the WW2 example.
I am sure others will comment in due course.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-10-18, 07:07 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,092
Default

Is top left a padded example?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17-10-18, 06:38 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,161
Default

Yes Frank, could or can you date them ?
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-10-18, 06:58 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,092
Default

That would be difficult, it would certainly help if you can photograph each individually, top right appears to be the oldest, but, the other three were worn for a number of decades.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-10-18, 10:55 PM
tcrown tcrown is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 134
Default

I would agree. Top right is most likely late WW2. The other ones could be anywhere between early 60s to late 70s or even later.
Pierre
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19-10-18, 06:38 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
I would agree. Top right is most likely late WW2. The other ones could be anywhere between early 60s to late 70s or even later.
Pierre
Thanks Pierre.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19-10-18, 06:49 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,092
Default

Just from the photograph, may I ask how you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Top right is most likely late WW2.
Pierre
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19-10-18, 09:56 PM
Paul Spellman Paul Spellman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,049
Default

No wings on show but Iím sure Andy will like this screenshot, Officer on the right is (then) Maj John Frost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5E06A50-39BB-469B-9E2B-63C9D78DE85E.jpg (34.2 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19-10-18, 10:05 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
No wings on show but Iím sure Andy will like this screenshot, Officer on the right is (then) Maj John Frost.
Nice one thanks.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20-10-18, 05:49 PM
tcrown tcrown is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Just from the photograph, may I ask how you know that?
I agree; it's a bit challenging to form a definitive opinion from the photo presented.
It is generally accepted that wartime produced wings have the horizontal stitching as already mentioned. In my view, early examples have also a flat base to the canopy. Another indication of later wartime wings is provided by the sort of zigzag stitching representing the suspension lines as we can see here. This is just my opinion. Happy to discuss further.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20-10-18, 09:40 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
I agree; it's a bit challenging to form a definitive opinion from the photo presented.
It is generally accepted that wartime produced wings have the horizontal stitching as already mentioned. In my view, early examples have also a flat base to the canopy. Another indication of later wartime wings is provided by the sort of zigzag stitching representing the suspension lines as we can see here. This is just my opinion. Happy to discuss further.
Thanks for explaining that.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.