British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-16, 10:20 PM

Default Her Magesties Marshallmen

Took me ages to find out what these were. Apparently for a Marshallman.!

At any one time there are no more than eight members. Their duties include supervising persons entering and leaving the House of Lords, and to execute any warrant or order sent by any Queen's officer's for arresting or conveying any person before such officer or to any of H.M.'s prisons.

I can only find reference to these as Victorian buttons, but these have Elizabeth Crowns.

A rarity or not ??

Richard

Old 04-01-16, 02:20 AM

Hi Richard

Sorry to say I don't think your buttons are HM Marshalmen. They are similar and HM Marshalmen buttons do exist with a QVC, KC and probably QC but all HM Marshalmen buttons are gilt and rimless. Also, in addition to being rimless they have a "smooth" background and yours appear to have a "lined" background.

Are your buttons silver plate (or white metal)? If they are then they are quite common and have various uses both here and overseas. Some of the UK uses include Police Chief Constables from many forces, past and present (also DCC & ACC). They are also worn by County Deputy Lieutenants.

If the buttons are gilt I'll have to have another think as to what they can be.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 04-01-16 at 11:35 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-01-16, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Hi Richard

Sorry to say I don't think your buttons are HM Marshalmen. They are similar and HM Marshalmen buttons do exist with a QVC, KC and probably QC but all HM Marshalmen buttons are gilt and rimless.

Are your buttons silver plate (or white metal)? If they are then they are quite common and have various uses both here and overseas. Some of the UK uses include Police Chief Constables from many forces, past and present (also DCC & ACC). They are also worn by County Deputy Lieutenants.

If the buttons are gilt I'll have to have another think as what they can be.

David
Yes, I agree with all David says about these buttons!

Dave.
Old 04-01-16, 03:30 PM

Interesting.
This Victorian one is indeed guilt, but same design and has lined background ?
http://174.142.39.178/detail.asp?id=...-Gilt-QV-Crown
Old 04-01-16, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
Interesting.
This Victorian one is indeed guilt, but same design and has lined background ?
http://174.142.39.178/detail.asp?id=...-Gilt-QV-Crown
Just checked the above link, the button shown is definitely not HM Marshalmen. The one shown is actually quite a common generic type button. I have one the same, also with KC & QC.

HM Marshalmen buttons are similar but quite distinctive. They are crown in wreath but do not have rims or a lined background. Some are mounted design, others are one piece. They are also hard to find!!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 04-01-16 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 03:40 PM

Having looked further I am seeing them on Kellys site as Deputy Lieutenants in silver plate (which is what mine appear to be).
So thats what they are ??
Old 04-01-16, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
Having looked further I am seeing them on Kellys site as Deputy Lieutenants in silver plate (which is what mine appear to be).
So thats what they are ??
Re my first post. If yours are silver plate they COULD be County Deputy Lieutenant. They could also be any Police rank above C/Supt from numerous current or defunct forces, They also have other uses, both in the UK and abroad.

David
Old 04-01-16, 04:00 PM

I got some items for a Welsh Lord Lieutenant a few years ago (brocade belt, epaulet, sash etc..) trying to remember if these buttons came with these!! I think they did.. but ended up in my buttons box...