British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-15, 02:44 PM

Default Unknown Button

Hi

Can anyone id this button please, found near Hay on Wye.
Similar one here but the letters are different : http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/sho...?product=26000

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6156.JPG (48.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6157.JPG (29.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-11-15, 02:52 PM

Hello

Royal Radnorshire Militia, they used a couple of similar designs over the years. Yours would appear to be an early one.

Roger
Old 08-11-15, 03:15 PM

Many thanks for the quick response
Old 08-12-15, 05:16 PM

And now sold for a tidy sum on ebay by the look of it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-Roy...sAAOSwbdpWXsfh
Old 08-12-15, 05:35 PM

It seems that he's regularly asking for info. and id of various items but never mentions his intent to sell. Disappointing.....

Dave.
Old 08-12-15, 10:36 PM

And one more member on my ignore list ...
I do not need to see his 'contributions' to this forum.
Old 08-12-15, 10:38 PM

Hello Dave

Yes, the Forum rules are quite clear and prominent - "If you plan on using the Forum membership to identify, date, or collect information to enhance the desirability of an item that you intend to sell, then please say so in your first post on the subject".

A lot of people do make this very clear and they still get a lot of help from other members. Sometimes it just seems that we have been taken for a ride and used as a free information service so that someone else can benefit financially.

I have always liked Peter Brydon's 'signature' - "Ask not what the Forum can do for you, ask what you can do for the Forum"!

Of course, it is always possible that it is not the same button ....

Roger
Old 08-12-15, 11:14 PM

Least I'm honest about my intent to sell my bits I look for id's on! To be fair on the guy though did anyone tell him the rule about stating if you're going to sell something as I didn't realise until someone told me?

I can see from the id letters of who bought this button it's one of my "regulars" who buys a lot of my militia/volunteer buttons. I'm surprised he's not a member of the forum really!
Old 09-12-15, 09:25 AM

Good morning all,

When you get onto the Forum site you are asked to read and observe the rules. Almost the first thing you see on entering the site is -

"Forum Rules & Privacy
IMPORTANT! You must read this before you sign up and post!".

And then a little further down -

"If you plan on using the Forum membership to identify, date, or collect information to enhance the desirability of an item that you intend to sell, then please say so in your first post on the subject."

It's great to see newly discovered/previously unknown items and to be able to have experienced Forum members identify them. Several of my "mystery buttons" have been identified because someone else posted one for identification and a Forum member knew what it was.

I, like many others, don't mind helping people who are looking to identify an item whether it is for sale or not but to me there seems to be something slightly underhand in coming on to the Forum now and again just to ask a 'what is it/how much is it worth?' type question and then quietly selling the identified/valued item on ebay (the usual place!).

Nothing wrong in making a profit, it's just how you go about it.

Roger
Old 09-12-15, 09:10 PM

You've been very helpful when I've uploaded my pics which I'm always grateful about. I can understand why some might not want to help someone looking to sell something on but I personally am always happy to id something for someone if I can whether it be for their gain or not.

Just so you know Roger that Irish button I posted pics up off no one really knew what it was on eBay though someone did suggest it could have been an American Civil War button relating to an Irish Brigade.