British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-06-08, 11:01 AM

Default Staybright 6th GR cap badges

Hi Bess

The 6th did not have a AA version of the badge without the crown. The first recorded staybright badge was the crowned version (lugged). The kukris on the 6th were crossed right over left.

Apart from finding the odd one where the later version has had the crown carefully cut off, you will find the badge worn by the Gurkha brigade staff band and recruits at the Training Depot Brigade Gurkhas in Hong Kong.

This badge is a staybright crossed kukris Left over right this time this can be found with both slider and lugs. They take the lugged version then add the seprerate AA 6th of the modern badge. It is then passed off as a 'rare' AA no crown 6th.

Pic 1 is the WM badge without crown, Pic 2 the AA crowned staybright issue, picture 3 the Gurkha staff band and Depot.
Regarding the gold band, I think this must be an error or one from the shop.
Hope this helps

Regards
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6111902.jpg (35.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P6111903.jpg (46.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P6111904.jpg (35.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 14-06-08, 04:07 PM

Steve,

That answers my enquiries perfectly, many thanks! As I thought, the 'un-crowned' 6th was a bit ambitious. I'm sure the gold staff band badge is a shop souvenir, but non the less is all part of ones collection, I suppose. Just One more question if I may? I have the usual gold and silver Gurkha engineers capbadge with slider. Additionally I have the all silver version with the north - south lugs. Can you tell me if this is a cap badge or are they collars? I fancied they were collars as I've never seen all silver with a slider. Can you put me right?

Thanks again Steve

Bess
Old 16-06-08, 01:33 PM

Hi Bess, ask as many as you want, just pleased to help.

The gold /silver cap, QGE is found with the slider. The WM version with N/S lugs is supposed to be the first version before becoming Bi metal. I was told that the badges initally had N/S lugs for both cap and collar. As the badge is identical, in all case's they used the same badge for both.

I had not given this much thought, but I am seeing the guy who wrote the books next week, so i'll ask him for his opinion.

Steve