British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-08, 06:34 PM

Default 10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles

I have been told that this badge was issued in the 1970 onwards ? Mine is rather shinny and I wonder if it's a restrike ? does anyone out there have an original ? If so is it in any way different from the one shown .

Old 01-05-08, 06:46 PM

It looks like the one sold by the Museum shop. The title is Rifles not Engineers.

Last edited by Mike; 02-05-08 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add note :main title now amended
Old 01-05-08, 08:01 PM

Were they issued in metal or just staybright ?
Old 01-05-08, 09:04 PM
Administrator

staybright* as well Spencer, the regiment did not disappear until 1994

there are some more pics of this badge here in the Indian section

Forum wise it's a curly one as to where to put Gurkha threads, as they were Indian army pre 1947 and a few regiments transferred to the British army post 1947. anyone any ideas?? their own section somewhere?

*sorry spencer missed your point, I guess you are asking about the Gurkha museum shop types - sorry I don't know.

Last edited by Mike; 01-05-08 at 09:07 PM. Reason: add a bit
Old 02-05-08, 08:25 AM

Thanks
Spencer
Old 02-05-08, 01:56 PM

Hi spencer,just to add a little bit more.The staybrite 1 has 2 patterns,and the beret size,the same as yours and the same as shown in my picture previously.Saying that ive not seen a solid badge in metal only staybrite.
Old 06-05-08, 08:05 PM

Hi Spencer, furtherto what the others have said.
This pattern badge was worn 1950-94. There are three different design varients, one with an open cipher and coronet, one with the cipher blocked in but a space above and below, The first in WM, second in WM & AA and the third version has all the space above the kukri blocked in. This I have only seen in AA. One of these sold recently on E bay for £30+.

The museum shop always used to mark the badges on the rear with a small stamped 'copy' however when the regts merged to form RGR a lot of QM stock of issues badges was sent to them for sale.

regards
Steve M
Old 07-05-08, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Hi Spencer, furtherto what the others have said.
This pattern badge was worn 1950-94. There are three different design varients, one with an open cipher and coronet, one with the cipher blocked in but a space above and below, The first in WM, second in WM & AA and the third version has all the space above the kukri blocked in. This I have only seen in AA. One of these sold recently on E bay for £30+.

The museum shop always used to mark the badges on the rear with a small stamped 'copy' however when the regts merged to form RGR a lot of QM stock of issues badges was sent to them for sale.

regards
Steve M
With regard to QM`s a lot of Gurkha Military Police badges appeared when Hong Kong went back to the Chinese.Must have sat on the shelves for years.
Old 07-05-08, 07:04 PM

Heres the 2 examples of a/a 10th hat badges that ive got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th Hat.jpg (17.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 10th Hat 2nd pattern.jpg (25.3 KB, 13 views)