British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-07, 09:51 AM

Default 6th Gurkha Rifles

There have been a few 1939/WWII/pre Indian Independance 6th Gurkha Rifles badges on sale on e-bay recently and all went for quite a sum. However, the geometry of the kukris seemed to be identical to the 1970 6th Queen Elizabeth's Own but without the crown. Is there any evidence that the unscrupulous are just sawing off the crown of the newer badge to represent the older badge? Or am I unaware of a pattern issued that has the geometry described? I believe the kukri blade tips should point to 45 degrees rather than the horizontal of the newer badge. Having just joined the forum I hope that this request does not contravene any of the rules with reference to accusations of forgery.

Last edited by moraynovice; 21-08-07 at 09:54 AM. Reason: I don't wish to contravene the rules or indeed be sued.
Old 26-11-07, 10:59 AM

Default 6th GR

Hi,
The crown was added to the 6th Gr cap badge in 1960 and worn until amalgamation in 94. The badge worn before this, appeared identical, but without the crown. This was worn from 1950-60. it should only be found in WM (not anodised) and is 25mm wide 34mm high, so it sounds ok.
From 1903-50 the kukris were slightly more upright and fatter. Still with a seperate '6'. Some local made variations are found where the '6' is attached between the handles.
Hope this helps
Regards
Steve
Old 30-04-08, 08:21 PM

Ive never seen an anodised 6th without the crown but it was supposed to have been made as was the 7th.
Old 17-05-08, 06:34 PM
Badge Guru

I walked into dereks shop one day in 1997 and saw this badge under his counter which he had just bought in. I asked how much he said 3 so I took it. Is it repro? I`m leaving this one to the Gurkha experts.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 17-05-08 at 06:40 PM.
Old 17-05-08, 08:00 PM

Jibba Jabba,

I'd be interested to know if your badge is a fake as I've got one just like it.

The die flaws are exactly the same ! I've had this badge since the mid 80's.

I'd like to collect more Gurkha stuff, but you find some really rough looking
badges about. I don't really know what to look for in a good badge.

I've been told most badges were locally cast/made, some even made by the Gurkhas themselves.
Old 17-05-08, 08:09 PM
Badge Guru

As with many Indian badges there were locally cast items that are genuine, however there many Gurkha badges made for tourists. If its rough white metal with fixings that wouldnt last five minutes ditch it.

I didnt actually realise there were any die flaws on this badge? Now I have looked I think the only ones I can see are at the ends of the handle on the Kurkhris. I cannot recall seeing these lugs on repro's either but as I said earlier I need to check with the experts who posted here.
Old 17-05-08, 08:47 PM

JJ,
On the back - looking at the handle and the blade on the right of the pic there are two vertical idents.

also on the pic of the front there is a dot near the top of the groove on the left hand blade.

I'll try and post a pic of mine tomorrow so you can see. Hopefully doesnt mean your badge is wrong just part of the same batch as mine.

I'm new to the site and all this new info is making me paranoid about some
of my items

Regards
Will
Old 17-05-08, 09:20 PM
Badge Guru

Hi Will,

I think you might be over analysing your badge. Die flaws are usually what are visable on the obverse. Die flaws on the reverse shouldnt matter that much as long at they do not obstruct the badge being worn or are visable on the other side. However I would be very worried if the reverse strike on the badge was not crisp, blurred and had a dull polished type appearance.

I`m not holding much hope either to be honest Gurkha came on forum a minute ago looked at this thread for about 7 minutes and then logged
Old 18-05-08, 01:28 AM

JJ,

Youre probably right mate, I do over analyse things. Hopefully these pics will come out. See what you think and let me know.

Will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6th rifles front.jpg (66.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 6th fifles back.jpg (91.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-05-08, 11:42 AM

Hi Guys,i cant say 100% that they arent fake or genuine.But with the back plate and square lugs they look ok.Most Gurkha fakes ive seen have the coppery looking lugs rather than the square ones.If you look at where the crown should be you should see the cut marks where the crown has been removed.If you look at the two 6th GR badges in the staybrite collection the crownless badge looks a lot fatter than the later badge.
Old 18-05-08, 12:51 PM

Hi ya,
I agree with Mike. I'm 99% sure its pukka. Its the same lugs as the ones in the Museum collection, mine and a fellow collector. When i get a chance I'll put a couple of pictures on.

Steve
Old 19-05-08, 08:53 AM
Badge Guru

Thanks for the thoughts mates..........bad news though..........no signs of where the crown has been cut as the shear marks where the badge has left the die is consistant all the way around the edge of the badge
Old 19-05-08, 05:57 PM

Hi All, the same is true of my badge. Looks like it never had a crown.
Old 19-05-08, 06:48 PM

Thats good,it has been altered to make it crownless.As Gurkha says a very high chance they are genuine.